Thread: Abandoned Castle (Evergreen)

Default Abandoned Castle (Evergreen)

This is what I call "evergreen" material: keep a bunch of somewhat generic battle maps around as potential drop-ins. When the players decide not to go to the dungeon you had in mind for that week, or clear it out and there are still hours of time left, or whatever then you can pop one out, quickly populate it (undead denizens? Stormed by goblins? Trolls? Whatever's appropriate for the area and difficulty), and not be flailing for something to do.

I'm a bit unsure of how to post this, though. It's made in maptools; the overview is:

but there's a lot more detail if you zoom in:

I figure the overview shot gives a good feel for the architecture.

Are these more simplistic battle maps okay to post here, or should I not bother? After all the artistic effort that goes into big regional maps, I can't tell whether these more utilitarian things are right for this site or not.

Blog Entries

Pretty sure that's why they have different subforums

Lots of people do battlemaps... you don't have to do big regional maps unless you're in the World/Regional topics
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Some people like regional maps, some like battlemaps, most like both. Post away!

Yeah, post more battlemaps!

Definitely more battlemaps. The forums seem to be a little scarce of them

I love Battle Maps. If I were to hazard a guess, the maps most "in demand" are decent battle maps. When I want a map _fast_ , it's not a big regional map. Oh, I've got nothing but massive respect for the cartographers here who make them. But if I want a big regional map, it's likely specific to my campaign. (Yes, I admit it -- RPGs are the main reason I'm into maps at all). So I'm more likely to try my hand at making it myself.
    But battle maps! I might need one of those fast, if the PCs decide to wander off the beaten track. So the more of them I have, the more likely I can throw a battle together with visuals, instead of hand-wavy "yes, he's within range.."

Battle maps are fewer here than on some pure RPG forums but there is a group of people here who can definitely help you out in that regard.