Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings!

Info Greetings!

Hey there, everyone! I'm new (obviously), and I haven't really checked out the forum much, yet... anyway, I should tell you a bit about me.

I've been into making maps since elementary school. When I got bored in class, I'd always grab 8x14 sheets of paper and draw landmasses on them. Real mapmaking and worldbuilding has been a perpetual problem, though, because I get stuck with the details, especially the ones early on. I suppose that's what I'm here for. To learn how to make a world that feels natural, and to get past those sticky parts.

*ahem* The short version: I like mapmaking and worldbuilding, but I don't know how to do it correctly. I'm here to learn how.

So... yeah! Sorry if this is rambly, I tend to do that when I'm tired. Anyway, I look forward to being a part of this community, and hope you don't mind my presence in it. ^.^
    "Is Eris true?"
    "Everything is true."
    "Even false things?"
    "Even false things are true."
    "How can that be?"
    "I don’t know man, I didn’t do it."

~ The Principia Discordia 5th ed., Introduction

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You should see me ramble, I think I actually invent new forms of grammar and punctuation, not to mention mixing tenses and dangling my participles. I'd better stop or I'm likely to be here for the next half hour...welcome aboard.

*grins* I think I like you, Ascension. You seem silly enough to associate with me. :3
    "Is Eris true?"
    "Everything is true."
    "Even false things?"
    "How can that be?"

HEHEH, Rambling, my wife is always telling me "ENOUGH, I get it already, why do you have to go on and on and on...."

Anyway, welcome to the guild.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome to the guild Edward Protera! Probably the first place to start is to let us know if you are using any software or just hand drawn. If using software, what are you using? Start posting up some samples and we will be happy to help you along. If you are using some type of software to create or modify your maps after the fact, check out the tutorials. Most of the tutorials have the software used to create the tut in the thread title.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    HEHEH, Rambling, my wife is always telling me "ENOUGH, I get it already, why do you have to go on and on and on...."

Anyway, welcome to the guild.
    if we were close to each other geographically, I would say we have the same wife!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Welcome to the guild Edward Protera! Probably the first place to start is to let us know if you are using any software or just hand drawn. If using software, what are you using? Start posting up some samples and we will be happy to help you along. If you are using some type of software to create or modify your maps after the fact, check out the tutorials. Most of the tutorials have the software used to create the tut in the thread title.

Joe
    Digital media are my thing... I'm actually quite new to mapping, but I recently started drawing again. I use a tablet for anything that involves hand-drawing; as for programs, I have ArtRage for sketching; it's built to emulate real-life media like pencils, oil paints, et cetera... for anything else, I use either Adobe Photoshop CS3 or Illustrator CS3.

I've already begun working with dhalsimrocks' using tectonic plates to create a map tutorial, actually... but, newb that I am, I'm not sure where to post my work.

EDIT: Seems I overlooked an entire set of boards. I think I know where to post my work now. XD

EDIT EDIT: I posted a reeeeeallly rudimentary bit of work here. Hopefully it'll improve a bit as I do more work.
    Last edited by Edward Protera; 07-30-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Found the art posting boards.
    "Is Eris true?"
    "Everything is true."
    "Even false things?"
    "How can that be?"

Welcome, and Hello.

You're going to love it here.

Hi Edward!

And I see you are over 5 posts. Now you should have access to PM's. Congratulations and welcome to the community.

(message to people with less than 5 posts...) See that... IT'S NOT THAT HARD!

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast