Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I make a real map yet? D:

By Jalyha
    You mean like an outline around the coast?
    Yes, or a kind of short transition between lands and sea (using contrast or brightness maybe).

A very cool looking map where you really created a unique atmosphere.

But I think you got caught in between two minds. A planetary map of biome distribution is a rather modern concept and a stone-age planet does not include "rather modern concepts"... Mixing these two influences will yield original stuff, sure, but it's a very fine line to walk on. The more clarity you add the less "primitive" the whole thing will look so be very judicious about it.

And yes. It is indeed a map. Congrats

This is the first time I've seen a map that uses this kind of technique so I like it very much! I also agree with the earlier posts about reinforcing the coast, just so it'll be easier on the eyes and it should make the land stand out more as well. But from what I can see, there's definitely an improvement with the colours compared to your last post so it's definitely better I like all the colours you've used here; they all compliment each other so well ^__^

Blog Entries

Thanks! I'll try those suggestions

@ Pixie - I thought about that, but then I thought (and my people, although stone-age-equivalent, aren't like stoneage peoples on earth... They live in trees or burrows mostly, since there aren't many caves ) that maybe my tribes are so in-tune with nature that they naturally map out where it's different? D:

And they know what the whole world looks like because, ummm....

Okay, yeah, I'm stretching, cause it just feels good to have a real, honest-to-goodness, legitimate map done D: You caught me!

But I will keep that in mind in the future!!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Better, but still needs more differentiation. Maybe try cross-hatching with a similar color (so a green gets a diagonal slightly lighter green crosshatch, a blue gets a slightly lighter blue crosshatch in another direction, etc). Or something textural to help distinguish them.

Also nitpick: on the ocean floor (right of the compass especially) I can see where you were painting in depth/texture and it looks like computer paint strokes. If that's still on a separate layer, maybe feather it out some or apply a Gaussian blur to that layer or something?

Overall this map is pretty cool, though!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Lithos Pro (very subtle, but I like it)
    Good call. I LOVE that font.

Blog Entries

Ummmm I'm confused.

On this version I didn't add anything to the ocean (except the one barely-underwater island near the key) so there isn't any texture.

Is is something maybe where the parchment is showing through, or something that you're talking about? I just am unsure which part you mean so I can try to fix it...

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    I thought about that, but then I thought (and my people, although stone-age-equivalent, aren't like stoneage peoples on earth... They live in trees or burrows mostly, since there aren't many caves ) that maybe my tribes are so in-tune with nature that they naturally map out where it's different? D:
    That makes sense actually. It's a bit of a stretch, yes But it sounds reasonable, especially if they don't have nations or other political borders, or at least view them as less important than nature's borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Good call. I LOVE that font.
    Cool! Now that you say it, I think I've seen it in some of your maps? It is a really good font. Jalyha, if you want to buy it it's sold by a company called Linotype. The price is a bit hefty for a one-time use, but if you are planning to make many maps of this world and looking for a font to use on all of them… well, it's up to you if it's worth it of course, but check it out!

Edit: wait, sorry, I misremembered… i was checking several fonts and thought of another one when I wrote that… Lithos is sold by Adobe, not Linotype, and it's $35 per style (light, regular, bold, etc). Or $145 for all five styles. Yeah… More than I'd spend on a font for personal use, hehe…
    Last edited by Lingon; 02-19-2014 at 04:02 AM. Reason: correction

By George it's a map! And a unique one too. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

@Lingon - 1) Actually I was thinking the *tribal* borders would pretty closely follow nature's borders. Makes more sense that way to me.... I don't know why. Maybe I should rethink that...

2) yeah no way I can buy that font Maybe if I save up for a few years!

@Arsheesh - Thanks!!! I'm having lots of fun with this one ^.^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast