Thread: Xara help

Default Xara help

Is it possible with Xara to create vertical lines in a shape? Think of the white house dome, but from a top down view. I am trying to create some domes in my maps that have an effect much like that. I know with the contour tool I can create a dome with horizontal lines, but is there a way to do it with vertical lines?

I was getting some great help from Gamerprinter in my original topic "best program to redraw an existing map". I figured I would continue that thread and start a new thread in regards to using Xara. Which is an awesome program btw. And easy to use. Though I have had some experience with vectoring in Illustrator and using CC2 (back in the old days).

Bruce

I kind have answered this question on the Talkgraphics forum for you - you have to fake it, is the solution. Another solution, which I didn't think of that board. Copy your circle shape you are using for a a top down dome, change its color (lighter if you can, otherwise darker). Combine/Slice it into equal pie cuts with lines of some width 0.5 or wider. If you used a rounded bevel on your dome shape to imply the dome shape surface shadow, you can apply a Stained-Glass transparency on the cut shape, that will allow the shadow surface of the dome beneath to show through, and thus imply your dome with verticle lines. Understand?
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Here's a rough tutorial of the above solution.

Step #1: light gray circle with a full rounded bevel applied.

Step #2: copy circle, apply a lighter shade of gray. Create 1 point line, rotate + Ctrl, to keep equal spaced rotations. Convert lines to shape, then Combine/Add shapes to one shape.

Step #3: with your copied circle selected, select the line shape, then Combine/Subtract the line shape from the circle resulting in a sliced pie shape.

Step #4: place your sliced circle directly on top of the other dome shadow circle.

Step #5: apply a Transparency/Stained-Glass onto the sliced circle for this result.

You can vary the width of the lines and change the colors/shades of the circles for slightly different results... understand?

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome-verticle-lines.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	61521
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations