Thread: Randomized stone floor...

Help Randomized stone floor...

Hi all,

I would like to know if someone came up with a method to randomize the shape of stone tiles for dungeons floor. I would like to keep a roughly square shape. But with randomized cracks and shapes.

I tried the cristalize effect in Photoshop, but it didn't give me the kind of shapes I look for.

I have yet to find a tutorial giving hints for that purpose. But maybe I don't know the right key words to use (English is not may native language).

Best regards.

Guild Journeyer

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I did a tutorial on doing random tile patterns using Gimp on my blog. It may give you a starting point.

@Tymophil, did you ever find a satisfactory solution? If so, I'm looking for the exact same effect and I'd love to hear about what you found.

Here's an image of what (I believe) Tymophil is looking for.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview_img_0007.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	68755

This is a preview image from SkeletonKey Games' "2e Adventure Tiles" line of products; specifically, "Dungeon Core Set".

@mthomas768, your technique looked interesting (I grabbed a bookmark for later perusal), but I think it will be more valuable as a way of producing the individual floor tiles with internal irregularities, not as a solution for randomly and automatically laying out a grid of such tiles. However, maybe, if the technique was modified with a second, thicker grout layer that was a regular grid overlaid on top of the thinner grout layer of irregular grout patterns.

I found what I was looking for on pages 37-38, in part 6 of the following tutorial: Chapelle / Chapel - JdR Presse

Basically, he says that if I make sure the floor polys (or multipolys) have their top-most node aligned to a horizontal grid line, and their left-most node aligned to a vertical grid line, then the fill texture (if it is an image including a 5'x5' grid, and I followed the advice on pg 37 regarding the scaled fill style) will align with the grid!

yay!