Thread: Northern Fryrealm

Default Northern Fryrealm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeroSagamapcropsm.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	61529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeroSagamapcropsm.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	61529
    This map of my fantasy world Fyrealm (pronounced and nearly spelled - fire-realm) shows the Northern section which is more developed than the rest of the world. Like most Western World educated, eurocentric creators my work is sourced from the familiar, no matter how much original thought goes into it. Think of Tolkien whose descriptions of Middle Earth barely sketches out the Far East and Southern areas of that invention.

I have worked on and off on the development of Fyrealm for well over 25 years and have a soon to be re-released novel, The Goddess of Pigland, based in Sofal. Sofal and Pigland lie in the eastern coastal section of the map. Although The Goddess of Pigland is a fantasy satire, Fyrealm was built with the solemnity fitting a "realistic" fantasy world, that is with political and economic basis and at least metaphysical explanations for the existence of non-Newtonian physics. I have run four year-long RPG campaigns and a multitude of one-off games also based in various areas of the map.

For those of you who have not fallen asleep yet, thank you for allowing me to establish that I have a command of a much out-dated literary style. I realize that compared with the excellent examples of cartography created by other members of the guild, my own map wanes by comparison and that the story telling and detailed settings cannot be conveyed by a map made for convenience of reference instead of being an invention in its self.

Mario Zecca
    Last edited by Fervent Seeker; 02-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Wow! That's an incredibly detailed map. I know exactly what you mean about story maps being more a reference point than a work of art. However, since you've already done most of the hard work (figuring out where everything lives and what it's called), I don't think you'd have too trying a time converting your map into something more aesthetically pleasing (not that it isn't pleasing in its own way, now!).

Great job, though!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Buce View Post
    Wow! That's an incredibly detailed map. I know exactly what you mean about story maps being more a reference point than a work of art. However, since you've already done most of the hard work (figuring out where everything lives and what it's called), I don't think you'd have too trying a time converting your map into something more aesthetically pleasing (not that it isn't pleasing in its own way, now!).

Great job, though!
    Thanks, The_Buce! That is an excellent suggestion. I have always been intrigued by cartography and I certainly have many good examples and styles to be inspired by on the site.