Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make this map look as 3D as possible D:

Thank you!! The trees have been bugging me for some time actually, so I'll definitely change those

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's really beautiful. Really, probably one of the best looking maps I've seen in some time. The colors are just great, the layout is interesting, and I really dig that cliff/bevel thing you've got going on the coastlines. I can't really add anything to the previous suggestions...

One thing I've got to differ on though is the compass and title; I really like that look and the contrast with the rest is (to me) not jarring at all.

AAAAAAAAH Thank you for the compliments! *blushes*

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    One thing I've got to differ on though is the compass and title; I really like that look and the contrast with the rest is (to me) not jarring at all.
    I've changed the font to make it look like it's part of the map, but kept the compass with the metal effect because I wanted it to look like there's an actual compass placed on top of the map?? Not sure if I achieved with that to be honest. I may have to put a drop shadow on the compass or something...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rgdffgfgd.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	61554  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Some interesting stuff. Besides the compass and the title (I agree with Diamond on this) what bugs me is the use of a bevel to emphasis the coastlines, this digital effect really clashes with the painted look of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    what bugs me is the use of a bevel to emphasis the coastlines, this digital effect really clashes with the painted look of the map.
    I took into account the use of bevel and started to paint the depth of the lands instead and I think that actually makes a large improvement so THANK YOUUU for the criticism

I'm thinking of adding some text at the bottom of the map that describes some back story on each of the countries. Main reason for this is because some people might be a bit confused as to why there's a country entirely covered in ice next to a country that seems perfectly sunny. There's a reason for all of it, but I dunno if that should be something I should add onto the map??

Also, I can't draw volcanoes to save my life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddfdfdf.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	61562  

You may have already decided otherwise, but I liked the original "torn edge" look on the map... if your goal is to give it some 3D, I think that helped.

That volcano looks great!

Blog Entries

Okay, so I haven't said anything, cause your map is so very impressive, at first glance, and even after, that I want to say all good things. But it *irritates* me... small things... even though I like it a lot. And you're talented, and give the impression you really want to improve, and you won't improve if no one points stuff out, so even though I'm not supposed to (according to my therapist) tell people what I really think, I'm going to, anyway. I don't mean any offense.. I only say ANYTHNG when I think the map/artist/cartographer/whatever is worth the effort, so please take it as a compliment... I REALLY like your map.

And I am probably going to get boo-ed for this but...

Well, to be honest, this map is simply too good to have the mistakes it has. On a mediocre image, they'd be irrelevant, but on one this good, I find them intolerable. So I'm going to nitpick.

You obviously have a fantastic eye for color and tone, so I know you will see what I see when I point it out, no matter how badly I explain it (and I'm BAD at explaining what I mean).

First, the sea/ocean. I didn't like the tattered edge at all, but the "patches" you put in to fix it don't match, and look totally digital. The scratch/rip near the center (west) could be explained away with magic rifts or caribean sea aspects, but the ones in the corner can't.

Second: The MAP is fine. The map elements are all off centeer.... and all in slightly different directions. It makes it feel like ... I can't explain it, but I think that's why you're getting so much back and forth about the title and the compass... they're pulling in opposite directions.

If you haven't got them on the same layer (or merged to the map D: ) I should think you could fix it easily by angling the title toward the compass slightly.

(And the compass doesn't look like it's resting on the map. In addition to a shadow, I should think a glimpse of the *drawn* compass your *real* compass is resting on would help it. Why do you need the drawn compass? Because of the (rhumb? is that the term?) lines shooting out of it. They wouldn't just (unless magically) appear when you set a compass on the map. And although I like the magic appearing lines idea, I believe you said you goal was to make it look as 3D as possible, and magic lines won't achieve that.)

Most of this map is REALLY impressive... you do have a great eye for color... especially, like, where your mountains fade *into* the hills. And your ocean looks great. So I couldn't figure out why your lakes look, not only flat, but as if they are seen from a different point of view. It's something about the edges of the lake... it looks way too digital. You know how to blend the colors... You know how to paint depth... So just make the ground slope down into the water.

The next thing is (and you know this one) the Volcano. It looks really good... but it looks like you pulled it off a different map and placed it on this one.

Everything else... all the coloring and shading... it looks..... colored pencils and soft paints. The lava looks like you colored it with markers. (Does that make any sense?)

Also... lava burns quite a ways out, but it also cools as it does, and blackens ... I should think darkening the lava further out would help.

And just like water, it's not going to *climb* or *jump over* a hill.... it's simply not flowing naturally.

Your roads... I don't see much problem with where they run, but they don't fit the map at all. "Fire's journey" does. The main roads do not.

Neither do the dots that represent the cities/towns.

Your rivers, regardless of where they choose to run, start too wide, and end too narrow.

I also don't understand the placement of your... idk what they are called... mini-compasses?... You have one half under an island, and given that their purpose is (i believe) navigation at sea, that doesn't seem very useful.

Finally, you've very carefully shaded each object, and it would look just perfect if these obviously 3D objects actually cast some sort of shadow... not black shadows, like less realistic maps, but the same way you did the shadows within the objects themselves would be great.

And I say all of this only 1) as one person's rather opinionated opinion and 2) because I think this really good map could be something GREAT.

Feel free to yell at me/ignore me/whatever.

xoxoxo

~Jalyha
    Have you "liked" a post today?

@SJS
    Thank you! I've change the ripped texture because I want to put some frame around the map some time in the future instead!

@Jalyha
    Wow, thank you for all the criticism! No offense taken at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    First, the sea/ocean. I didn't like the tattered edge at all, but the "patches" you put in to fix it don't match, and look totally digital. The scratch/rip near the center (west) could be explained away with magic rifts or caribean sea aspects, but the ones in the corner can't.
    I haven't actually done anything with the sea yet. Those rips are part of the overall map texture, but I'll see if I can find a texture that doesn't involve any rips so as to not confuse people.

Your roads... I don't see much problem with where they run, but they don't fit the map at all. "Fire's journey" does. The main roads do not.

Neither do the dots that represent the cities/towns.
    Do you mean the appearance of the roads don't seem to fit the map?? If so, that can be easily changed

I also don't understand the placement of your... idk what they are called... mini-compasses?... You have one half under an island, and given that their purpose is (i believe) navigation at sea, that doesn't seem very useful.
    Actually, those are my sad attempts of imitating portolan maps >___< I may get rid of the other lines and keep the one by the compass instead. The whole map could do without the other ones.

Thank you for the rest of your criticisms! Much appreciated that you took the time to write all that! I'll try to take those on board and hopefully improve my map

I don't think anyone could yell at you Jalyha.

Like Jalyha said there are a few small things that could be done to improve this map. It is extremely cool though I (like everyone else) love the colors! The rustic kind of soft feel it has is really unique. The volcano is kinda bothering me a little, I think it needs to be toned down? Also I would like to point out that some of your labels are hard to read, mountains/ocean they seem a little small and to dark.

Lovely map, truly impressive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seredemia View Post
    @Jalyha
    Wow, thank you for all the criticism! No offense taken at all!

I haven't actually done anything with the sea yet. Those rips are part of the overall map texture, but I'll see if I can find a texture that doesn't involve any rips so as to not confuse people.
    This in the corners:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D 1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	305.7 KB 
ID:	61566

Do you mean the appearance of the roads don't seem to fit the map?? If so, that can be easily changed
    Yep. Like this:

Name:	3D 2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	61567

Actually, those are my sad attempts of imitating portolan maps >___< I may get rid of the other lines and keep the one by the compass instead. The whole map could do without the other ones.
    Oh I think you did it very well. But I meant the *placement* of them. Here:

Name:	3D 3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	61568

Thank you for the rest of your criticisms! Much appreciated that you took the time to write all that! I'll try to take those on board and hopefully improve my map
    Thank you for taking it in the spirit it was intended It really is amazing... especially for a first map/one week effort

Edit: @Domino - people yell at me all the time IRL <3
    Last edited by Jalyha; 02-19-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: got ninjaposted
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast