Thread: WIP - Davok region, for D&D campaign & general worldbulding

Guild Novice

Wip WIP - Davok region, for D&D campaign & general worldbulding

Here's the mostly done alpha of a map I'm working on for a D&D campaign and general mapmaking and worldbuilding practice/hobbying. Scale is about 50 miles per inch (canvas is 11" x 8.5", 600 dpi). I think I'm done futzing with rivers and lakes for the moment, and I'll start working on visual design now, There'll probably be some tweaking of water elements as I move forward...I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where I want lakes placed...but I'm happy overall with how it's coming together and how it currently looks.

Made in Photoshop.

Comments welcomed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	davokRegionAlpha.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	820.4 KB 
ID:	61709

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Nice shape of the land! It's hard to say something about the lakes and rivers at this stage, without any mountains, but it looks plausible.

Guild Novice

Thanks! It was made using the Difference Clouds/Threshold method for generating shapes, and copy pasting. Whenever I make land shapes, I just find interesting shapes, then let the coastline build itself from there. I just try to let the map tell a story while I'm building it.

You can see the general location of the mountains from the rivers. There are three ranges: one spanning from the northwest corner almost to the northeastern shore; one meandering through the middle of the landmass (see where the rivers are in opposition) and one along the eastern peninsula's southern coastline.
    Last edited by IMakeIce; 02-23-2014 at 06:20 PM.