Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acania and The Murtail Coast

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Map Acania and The Murtail Coast

The Island of Acania and The Murtail Coast

I created this map entirely by hand (no special brushes, art, text or other elements) with my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition.
    It has taken me quite a while as it's the first map I've completed with my tablet and it's been more of a test than anything else but I'm rather happy with it.

Acania is the island home of a little adventure story that I'm going to try and write with my first child (currently merrily growing away in my wife's tummy) in mind. It is an ancient place which has been the seat of a great Kingdom for the last few hundred years while the rest of the continent has been embroiled in bitter wars. It's prosperity has drawn the attention of those across the channel who are most affected by the constant fighting and they are now making their way into Acania in search of a new start and their share of the wealth accumulated there.

Most visitors to the Isle make landfall at the port outside Walf's Gate. From there, it's a short journey to the Capitol - the great walled city of Mur Lennek (whose walls have, recently, failed to hold back the tides of expansion; the 'city' now spills onto the foothills surrounding it for some miles). The nation's standing army - somewhat diminished of late - is barracked, trained and based in the huge fort taking up much of a small island connected by a land bridge to the mainland; The Kolung. Stonewall is the southernmost city in Acania and is closest to Murtail.

I'd imagined Acania as being of a similar climate to northern France; slightly cooler in the north and mildly warm year round in the south. I've tried to have the landmass dictate the rivers and I'd imagined the island as being relatively old in geological terms so the small mountains are relatively central and would be rather smooth and lacking in starkly defined peaks.

I've never tried this style of map before (this is, actually, the first map I've painted; all of my others are entirely black and white!) but I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. I've also got another version without the wash/paper overlay which has deeper contrast and more vibrant colours but I like the wash as, I believe, it gives it that aged sort of feel.

This is the first map I've posted here so, please, feel free to include as much creative criticism as you're able!

Many thanks,

Jamie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acania-Wash_Final.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	61538  

Really sweet map. Sounds like its part of a great project!

This is lovely! Congrats on finishing your first tablet map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

That's really nice, I like the mountains! Good soft colors too. Is the spelling in the cartouche intentional?

Thanks guys :

Lingon - Yeah, I was going for an 'olde worlde' sort of feel with that

I really like this : good drawings, good colors, everything is well done. It makes me hard to believe you actually did it on a Samsung Note (a smartphone, correct?).

My only critic would be about the large townes and cities . Though I like the shields, it's not obvious it represents cities at first sight imho.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I really like this : good drawings, good colors, everything is well done. It makes me hard to believe you actually did it on a Samsung Note (a smartphone, correct?).
    It's a tablet

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

nice work for a tablet - what app were you using?

Thanks again!

Ilanthar - As Max says, it's a tablet - but the stylus is pretty small so I've given myself cramp repeatedly using it lol! I'll bear that in mind about the cities - I was trying to find a different way (other than having circles/squares/triangles or just names) to denote the cities. I thought that their own personal crests would be a nice touch, but I do see what you mean. Perhaps I'll reserve that for principalities or districts or whatever in future.

vorropohaiah - It's "Autodesk Sketchbook Pro for Galaxy" - I've not actually updated to to full version, yet, this is the version that comes on Notes (tablets and phones - I have the Note 3 that I also have started using for map-making; hopefully I'll be able to put some of them up on here very shortly!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast