Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being asked to work for free

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Walter Thiele, Inventor of the Lachsack, held a contest to record the laughter for the Lachsack.
    The winner was asked, whether he would take 1000 DEM or 10 Pfennig per unit sold. He took the 1000 DEM ...

BTT: In the past I asked artists to work for free. Some (very few, though) did the job. I guess, it's just a question of what to expect: If you expect free work to be done when its done, with no pressure behind it, everything is fine. For the artist (who may use your job as a distraction from a current project or whatelse) as well as for you, since you receive free work.

But that's just my 2 Cents ...

Kind regards,
    Kai
    CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free miniature skirmsh game rules and supplements

Quote Originally Posted by schattentanz View Post
    Walter Thiele, Inventor of the Lachsack, held a contest to record the laughter for the Lachsack.
    The winner was asked, whether he would take 1000 DEM or 10 Pfennig per unit sold. He took the 1000 DEM ...

BTT: In the past I asked artists to work for free. Some (very few, though) did the job. I guess, it's just a question of what to expect: If you expect free work to be done when its done, with no pressure behind it, everything is fine. For the artist (who may use your job as a distraction from a current project or whatelse) as well as for you, since you receive free work.

But that's just my 2 Cents ...

Kind regards,
    Kai
    Yah I agree - I just finished making a website for a charity run by a friend in NZ. I managed to fit in the logo design a few days after he first asked for it, but he then had to wait a further six months before I had time to even *start* the website. As long as it's relaxed and friendly I'm fine with it - at the very least it's something nice for my portfolio, and an excuse to chat with some friends!

Hahaha!!

That was hilarious!!

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Before I became a program manager for a publisher, I wrote technical, sci-fi and fantasy documents as welll as maps and diagrams for several different publishers, tech companies and gaming companies. I learned the hard way to be careful. One company wanted to see samples of my work. No problem. I sent them images in their genre. I was told that they were nice, but they were going with the work of someone else. Three months later at an international trade show I walked by their booth and there on the cover of their latest book was my image I sent them. My signature was still on it. Lets just say that the out of court settlement paid for the next semester of collage and my car insurance for the rest of the year. Now when I send samples to a company the world Sample in big red letters is across the image as one layer. There are other safeguards I take as well.
    Tracker

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Thinks like this happens. But still bothersome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12