Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: February/March Lite Challenge: Map a Fairy Tale or Children's Story

Quote Originally Posted by schattentanz View Post
    On a sidenote:
    "Fairy Tale" translates in German into "Märchen", which is the diminutive of "Mahr".
    The term "Mahr" describes a sinister creature of ancient folklore. That creature enters your house through your keyhole at night, resting on your body as you sleep inducing all kinds of Horrors into your dreams.
    Another, probably better known name of the Mahr is "Nachtalb" (night elf).

The English language still knows this fellow: the nightmare.

This has nothing to do with cartography at all - but language is just soooooo interesting

Kind regards,
    Kai
    That is really interesting and makes a lot of sense when one considers that the original version of fairy tales were pretty bloody, gory, earthy affairs. I remember when I was in my thirties and Rumplestilskin happened to be on the television. I remarked to my mother how odd it was that he wanted the girl's first born child (what would a dwarf want with a small child?). My mum's very words, 'Has your expensive eduction taught you nothing? When the girl ran out of things to give him, she gave him the only thing she had left - her virginity.'

I think in the original version of Cinderella one of the ugly sisters chops off her toes so she can put the slipper on and when the prince finds out how they tried to cheat them, they were forced to wear red hot iron shoes until they danced themselves to death.

So yeah, the Fairytale / Nightmare crossover makes a lot of sense!

Quote Originally Posted by schattentanz View Post
    On a sidenote:
    "Fairy Tale" translates in German into "Märchen", which is the diminutive of "Mahr".
    The term "Mahr" describes a sinister creature of ancient folklore. That creature enters your house through your keyhole at night, resting on your body as you sleep inducing all kinds of Horrors into your dreams.
    Another, probably better known name of the Mahr is "Nachtalb" (night elf).

The English language still knows this fellow: the nightmare.

This has nothing to do with cartography at all - but language is just soooooo interesting

Kind regards,
    Kai
    That is really interesting and makes a lot of sense when one considers that the original version of fairy tales were pretty bloody, gory, earthy affairs. I remember when I was in my thirties and Rumplestilskin happened to be on the television. I remarked to my mother how odd it was that he wanted the girl's first born child (what would a dwarf want with a small child?). My mum's very words, 'Has your expensive eduction taught you nothing? When the girl ran out of things to give him, she gave him the only thing she had left - her virginity.'

I think in the original version of Cinderella one of the ugly sisters chops off her toes so she can put the slipper on and when the prince finds out how they tried to cheat them, they were forced to wear red hot iron shoes until they danced themselves to death.

So yeah, the Fairytale / Nightmare crossover makes a lot of sense!

Edit: Yeah, found this: Warning - Gruesome reading which ruin your favourite fairytales.
    Top 10 Gruesome Fairy Tale Origins - Listverse

Little red riding hood has some older versions even worse than those mentioned. The most gruesome of all is one in which the wolf represents the devil. When little red gets there he gives her wine, which is her grandmothers blood, and food which is her flesh. He then tells her to take off her clothes and get in bed with him (he is imitating her grandmother and "wants to keep warm"). The act represents both bestiality and incest, and the eating and along with the eating and drinking of her grandmothers flesh and blood represent the completion of the black mass. The devil then devours her and her soul is dragged off to hell. Clearly not a path you want to stray from. Then you give your kid a kiss and the forehead and send them off to bed right?

Don't look at me. I refuse to start from scratch.

OK everyone, we have some great entries going on here!

Just a reminder. The contest ends Friday night. I can't put an exact time on it as I don't know how long it will take me to figure out how to do this. Most likely about midnight Eastern Daylight Savings Time. ( Planning on Friday night, but I might not get things worked out until Saturday.)

So finish up soon and get your final changes in!

Thanks for playing!

Last warning, I will be shutting it down late tonight. Get your final versions posted today.

Great job everyone lots of nice entries.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123