Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February/March Lite Challenge: Map a Fairy Tale or Children's Story

Info February/March Lite Challenge: Map a Fairy Tale or Children's Story

Hey everyone! This will be my first attempt at running one of the Challenges, I don't know what I'm doing so be patient.

This challenge was suggested by Jalyha, and it sounds very interesting. Your mission is to create a map that is based on a fairytale or children's storybook. It could be a map of Pocahontas' village, Treasure Island or Wendy's house. The theme and type of map is entirely up to you, but each entry MUST be based on a Fairytale or children's book.

Now, a word of CAUTION. This is a theme that could easily cross the copyright line. Your map MUST BE ORIGINAL. You cannot make a map based on a map or image from a book or even worse a movie. Even if you drew it from scratch, if you used their image as a basis for yours you have crossed the line. You can use a written or verbal description as the basis of your map, but not an image. To be safe, pick a topic where there is no map or picture already out there, or make yours so different that there is no resemblance at all. The whole point of this is to be ORIGINAL and CREATIVE isn't it.
    I do not want to be the copyright police so please choose wisely. ( And to be safe, I would stay away from Disney stuff altogether, I hear they get nasty. )

Please do remember to title each thread: February/March 2014 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also remember to preface each image you want to show up in the thumbnail scraper with: ### Latest WIP ### (If you don't, your map won't show up for the voters at voting time, which might hurt your chances. )

The challenge will end on or about the 14th of March, after which we'll have four days of voting. The winner of this month's challenge will receive, appropriately enough, a circular silver compass, demonstrating his or her all-around coolness.

Also to be fair, this is a link to the original thread started by Jalyha where there is a lot of discussion on this topic ( and others )

http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...airy-tale.html

Map approves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_doraMap1.gif 
Views:	5395 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	61596

Blog Entries

I'm the WINNER!!!

Okay, going to slip quietly back to my padded room now...
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Wikipedia has a crazy amount of fairy tale info - most include a synopsis. So if nothing mappable occurs to you, take a look.

I'll note that nothing says the fairy tale HAS to predate the 19th of February, 2014. I for one would view favorably a map based on a self-written tale, IF said tale was fully detailed in the thread :-). Some people might then tend to judge the tale as well as the map, but a quick look through that massive list of fairy tales in Wikipedia will make obvious that some make NO SENSE as far as plot or characterization...

Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a writer Kirk!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    I'll note that nothing says the fairy tale HAS to predate the 19th of February, 2014. I for one would view favorably a map based on a self-written tale, IF said tale was fully detailed in the thread :-)....
    Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Jalyha.

She wanted to be a cartographer. Unfortunately she was very bad at mapping.

One day she entered a contest and everyone laughed at her scribbles....

But what NOONE KNEW was that there was a fairy godmother helping the princess. She waved her wand over the map... and nothing happened.

But when the time for judging came, all anyone saw was what was most important to them.

The river police saw perfect rivers and streams.

The battlemappers saw detailed rooms and... stuff.. inside the buildings... the shadow warriors saw flawless depictions of height and depth...

And try though they might to vote for other maps, they were all unable to resist voting for princess Jalyha.

And she won.

And... she lived happily ever after (until the next challenge when her fairy godmother ditched her!)

VOTE if you believe in fairies! Vote if you BELIEVE!!!

The End...

(Like that?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Jalyha.

And try though they might to vote for other maps, they were all unable to resist voting for princess Jalyha.

And she won.

And... she lived happily ever after (until the next challenge when her fairy godmother ditched her!)

VOTE if you believe in fairies! Vote if you BELIEVE!!!

The End...

(Like that?)
    Are you mixing fairy tale and politics? Jalyha is a princess that got elected by the subjects of the kingdom...

Blog Entries

She was BORN a princess (her mommy said so) ... doesn't mean she got to rule the democracy

Jalyha, ll monarch are elected. Some by the people, others by God.

Or sometime they elect themselves and they try to convince people that God chose them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast