Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: February/March 2014 Lite Challenge: The Little Mermaid ! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I use stacks of transparent layers to create the effects of depth in water, in my maps. I create several stacked layers of terrain: beach above water, beach below the surf, sea bottom in the lagoon, lower sea bottom past the coral reef, muddy sea floor at deeper levels. Then I place rectangles of varying shades of blue with varying levels of transparency anywhere between 20% to 80% transparency. These rectangles are placed below each subsequent sea floor level. Thus the deeper areas are getting progressively darker blue, less transparent, and colors fade to nearly non-existent. Very much as vision and color is lessened the deeper you go.

Here, check out my Ryukyo, Sea Dragon City map. Although the final map is in the Finished Map Forum, you can see some of the steps of development in the WIP forum.

That's a gorgeous map. I thought about doing it that way ('s close to the same technique I used for the lake in my Jannah Manor entry, although you're obviously more skilled at it). My problem is that the undersea castle (which should be seen the most clearly) is supposed to be in the deepest, darkest depths. And I'm not really sure how to do that :/
    Have you "liked" a post today?

I think an underwater map will look really cool. great idea!

Blog Entries

If I can figure out what I'm doing

You've got plenty of time to experiment, you can do it! If you have a few false starts you'll probably learn a lot in the process anyhow. If you want deepest as the most clear you could make it a view up out of the water rather than down into it, but I think your last one looked like a fine start.

Yep, try different ways, save multiple working copies so you don't lose something you might want to go back to, and you will figure it out.

Maybe do the layers of transparent blue technique, but cut a mask out for the castle itself, so it remains clearly visible perhaps just under a few layers of transparent color. Perhaps offer some kind of source of bioluminescence. Or depict a night-time castle with light spilling out various windows, lamp lit central exterior courts and/or gardens - creating windows of clarity, amid otherwise deep layers of gloom. No matter your solution, it sounds like a fun challenge to tackle!

Not that you'd have to, but if it were me, I'd think about the origins thru Hans Christian Andersen, and the fact that he's an author of Denmark - Danish waters are cold comparitively speaking with coral reef waters others might depict in scenes beneath the sea. A kelp forest might seem more appropriate than a coral reef, among the types of submarine terrain you might include. Just some thoughts... good luck.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-21-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Maybe do the layers of transparent blue technique, but cut a mask out for the castle itself, so it remains clearly visible perhaps just under a few layers of transparent color. Perhaps offer some kind of source of bioluminescence. Or depict a night-time castle with light spilling out various windows, lamp lit central exterior courts and/or gardens - creating windows of clarity, amid otherwise deep layers of gloom. No matter your solution, it sounds like a fun challenge to tackle!

Not that you'd have to, but if it were me, I'd think about the origins thru Hans Christian Andersen, and the fact that he's an author of Denmark - Danish waters are cold comparitively speaking with coral reef waters others might depict in scenes beneath the sea. A kelp forest might seem more appropriate than a coral reef, among the types of submarine terrain you might include. Just some thoughts... good luck.

GP

You sir, are a genius, and I have to start over

Blog Entries

>.< That doesn't work either... if I look up from the water the perspective looks funny if I try to show the castle on land!!

I shoulda picked an easier fairytale x.x

Hang in there Jalyha, you'll figure it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12