Thread: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Map Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Well I've seen some great maps on here for some of the old great AD&D modules (U1 Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh and B2 Keep on the Boarderlands to name a couple). I'm running another one N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God and thought I'd give it a go myself...Way harder than it looks, or at least time consuming. Anyway I started off with the dungeons, and learned A LOT, then gave the temple a try, changed it to a temple of Demeter as we are using the greek pantheon, but by and large I feel pretty good about it. I also whipped up the cellar to the Foamy Mug Cellar just in case. Decided to leave the Inn's as is for now. May give them a shot if my players are still in town next week. At any rate I hope someone finds it useable other than me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon1.jpg 
Views:	1267 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	61606

Name:	Dungeon2.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	61607

Name:	Foamy Mug Cellar.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	61608

Name:	Temple of Demeter First.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	61609

Name:	Temple of Demeter Second.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	932.0 KB 
ID:	61610

Name:	Temple of Demeter Cellar.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	1,022.5 KB 
ID:	61611

Had time to put together the other maps, won't be uploaded in time for my players tomorrow but thought I'd attach them. Got some ideas from looking at some of your great maps and in my humble opinion they've come a long way. Really wish my earlier maps looked a bit more like this...oh well.

Inn of the Slumbering Serpent

Name:	Slumbering Serpant Ground.jpg 
Views:	939 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	61676

Name:	Slumbering Serpant Second.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	61677

Name:	Slumbering Serpant Cellar.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	61678

Golden Grain Inn

Name:	Golden Grain Inn Ground.jpg 
Views:	963 
Size:	314.2 KB 
ID:	61679

Name:	Golden Grain Inn Second.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	61680

Name:	Golden Grain Inn Cellar.jpg 
Views:	849 
Size:	379.4 KB 
ID:	61681

Enjoy!
    Last edited by vtsimz02; 02-22-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Guild Member

Great adventure! Great maps! I updated C1: Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan from first edition to 3.5 and while I was at it, I made new maps so that I could print them out onto cardstock so I could use them as battleboards. What program did you use? I've been using Fractal Mapper 8.

Wow man your maps are great! I love the lighting I need to work on and your walls are amazing. Once my characters gain a few levels I may give them a crack at it. I'm using Gimp 2.8, initially I was considering switching to Photoshop...but I'm starting to get used to it.

New maps upgraded with both of the inn's, would love to hear some feedback on how to improve. Will be giving a crack at town maps soon and have no idea about how to do it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Great maps!

I remember playing that game. It was fun until the party wizard used the wand of wonder (that he had acquired from the old man back in town) that created a fireball and killed two of the party and left him standing there all by himself with the huge pile of loot. (He also happened to be a rather large purple frog)

I did these maps for a private commission in Nov/Dec. Here is a lower resolution version of the town map, the full size is to large to upload here. Maybe it will give you some ideas, or you can just use my map for your game.

Name:	OrlaneVillage-lowRes_bg.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	63395

I had fun making these maps, but I also found it very frustrating trying to convert the original adventure module maps to full size battlemaps. There were so many errors and inconsistencies. Like, 9' x 9' rooms that are supposed to have 4 beds, a desk, a chair and a chest. To make it fit, the original artist drew the beds as being 4'x 2'. Also, often the map did not match the written description. I remember a room described as having 3 beds and a desk and the map had 2 beds and a chest ( or something like that ). I had to make my best attempt to fit it in as good as I could.
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-21-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Nice work man...I never did get around to the ground map for the town...was busy working on Saltmarsh which was their main town...though I have been playing with the idea of sending them back...I leaned a lot from those dungeon maps and though I was proud of them at the time but having just finished U3 Final enemy maps I can see how far I have come...not that they were bad they worked pretty darn well...but Ive added a lot of stuff to my templetes since.

I really love all of your ground effect on your map...much better than the standard grass I use, and using the darkened areas for your elevation is pretty cool too

After 2 and a half years I am finally running this adventure again and frankly was never happy with the dungeon maps, so I redid them for fun and the sake of having better maps...they were my first maps ever btw

Name:	Dungeon1.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	4.89 MB 
ID:	87008

Name:	Dungeon2.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	87009

I'm about to run this in fantasy grounds and these were a godsend. thank you!

Thanks for making these. I am running this on roll 20 for a handful of buddies and it has made a world of difference.