Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February/March 2014 Light Challenge<The Ordinary Princess>

Blog Entries

I like GP's suggestion about the tree trunks

Also trying to figure out if that river is intentional!!

But it looks so sweet and yummy I don't really care about the trees or the river. It makes me think of cotton candy!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Those mountains looks so creamy soft I want to sleep on them. The main thing that doesn't work for me on the forest is the trunks, the eveness and similarity almost make them look more like a raised plateau rather than a forest, though I like the subtle light and dark on the top.
    I hope that creamy soft mountains are a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    I like GP's suggestion about the tree trunks

Also trying to figure out if that river is intentional!!

But it looks so sweet and yummy I don't really care about the trees or the river. It makes me think of cotton candy!
    I don't know what you mean by the river being intentional… I'm glad it looks yummy though

Now to work on the forest...
    Last edited by Domino44; 02-22-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Blog Entries

It comes down from the mountains and splits into two... isn't that a big no-no for rivers?

I was wondering if that was in the story, or if you'd done it because of the comment in the suggestion thread about splitting rivers being a fairytale, or if you'd done it accidentally
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Dang it your right… realistic rivers are my nemeses… I'll fix it.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

The title looks much better now

I like your icons and forests, and I like the soft mountains, but the sharp outlines on the first two and the lack of outline on the third clashes, in my opinion.

Thanks Lingon! I was thinking about adding a little bit of a sharper outline on the mountains so they flow with the rest of the map better.

Here is an update. I tried the more Tolkien style forest but I didn't like the way it turned out so I decided just to improve upon the forest's I already had. I added another forest a few more icons and labels.

###Latest WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The ordinary princess4.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	61779

While I still think the top of your forest is too flat, I do like the improved trunks lines on the forest edge. One other thing you might try is to put a jittery edge to the forest instead of a long smooth line. Still what you have is an improvement of what you had before.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I see what GP is saying, but personally the flat forest tops don't bother me, I think they look cute and stylized. I also really like your castles and forts, and the font was a nice choice too. However, the mountains seem not to suit the style of the map. They are hazy and undefined, whereas your other map elements are all very clear.

Maybe I would add a bit of texture on the green landmass; actually it feels a little too plain. Also I too think that the mountains are not consistent with the other features of the map.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast