Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: February/March 2014 Lite Challenge: Story Mapping a Fairytale

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Someone has read too much xkcd ...
    CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free Print and Play games

Probably true Schattentanz but sadly that person isn't me. But I'd love a link if its related!

I see a lot of people using the fancy stamp tool technique so I thought this was as good a time as any to give it a go. So I whipped up some trees figuring I would probably need different sets for different areas but doing just some relatively happy looking ones to start with. I feel a bit incompetent at the actual stamping part which I'm still working out the best way to do. Here's my first tree set:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trees.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	61629

On an unrelated note, I want you all to fear Pharaoh Gummy-Dragon master of my continent:

Name:	Ex9StorymapV2.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	61630

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Ok, so it's me then .. I can live with that

I was referring to the older map: https://xkcd.com/256/ as well as to the newer one: xkcd: Online Communities 2

CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free Print and Play games

Those trees look AWESOME! I probably should make stamps of my own instead of slaving away and colouring each one... And please tell me you're keeping your map as that. It's a work of art.

Nice idea, loving all the different areas!

On xkcd: wouldn't it be awesome to make a village map from this point of view: xkcd: Velociraptors

I have jammed my head full (it doesn't hold much) of tutorials on using the stamp tool. I think someone who knows what they are doing should make a tutorial on what works and what doesn't for good stamps. Having done so I've completed the mountains and laid down some of the base terrain. Still a lot of land types to go, but the cartoony character of the map is beginning to take form. I keep thinking of more common character types for fairy tales so I might need to go back and revise some. Not sure if I want to do swamps or forests next. I have a need for plenty of both. Had to scrape my initial trees as though cute they did not make for good stamping, so its back to the drawing board having learned something new there. Watching other peoples maps is easily as fun as making my own with this challenge, I'm very excited to see how they turn out.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ex9StorymapV3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	61755

AAAAAH, it's looking good so far!! Loving the little details here like that cute cottage near the north and that dragon peeping out of that cave. The mountains are wonderfully coloured as well

The mountains look great! I'm liking this cartoony style. Between the details and the names I expect this map will be a lot of fun to look over when you're done.

Cliffs of clever ruses heheh

Guild Member Facebook Connected Micah Doulos's Avatar

Haha. Nice map!

I love the hand-drawn elements!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast