Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy World Map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

impressive poles (hehe...) they line up very nicely.

How do you upload an equirectangular onto google earth? and whats the biggest res you can use? the problem with G. Projector is the highest res it exports is 3750 x 7500px whichreally isnt very much for a world map.

Haha thanks!

It's pretty easy actually:

• Open Google Earth
    • Click "Add" on the top toolbar
    • Click "Image Overlay"
    • Click "Browse..." and select your image
    • Click the "Location" tab further down the window
    • Enter 90° 0'0.00"N, 180° 0'0.00"E, 90° 0'0.00"S, 180° 0'0.00"W in the North, East, South, and West boxes respectively
    • Click "OK"

And that's it!

I use it loads since you can use the ruler to measure direct distances. Even better, you can create polygonal paths and see the lengths of those too - perfect for planning trade routes, roads, etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention, biggest res is 10000x5000 I think. It gets very pixellated when you zoom in a lot but it's better than nothing I guess. You can obviously add in as many smaller maps as image overlays as you like, so you could cut a much higher resolution into smaller pieces and fit them all in that way to get better quality. Would be interesting to see how well that works actually...

Another Edit: Apparently the max res is dependent on your computer. Mine is 16384 x 16384. Click "Help" > "About Google Earth" to see what the max size you can use for each overlay is
    Last edited by Raptori; 03-05-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raptori
    Edit: Forgot to mention, biggest res is 10000x5000 I think. It gets very pixellated when you zoom in a lot but it's better than nothing I guess. You can obviously add in as many smaller maps as image overlays as you like, so you could cut a much higher resolution into smaller pieces and fit them all in that way to get better quality. Would be interesting to see how well that works actually...
    i gigantic digital globe of my world in super small scale!

that's great thanks, though i'm hoping you enter the size of the globe (circumference, mean radius etc? as my world is not earth sized.

Ahh, nope you can't. I think you can also have mars and moon size globes (though I haven't tried it), but other than that you're stuck with Earth size

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

It's a simple calculation though. If your planet is has a radius x times the Earth radius, a distance measured through Google Earth just has to be multiplied by x, and areas have to be multiplied by x˛.

Example: if your planet has a radius of 4,200 miles (the Earth radius is 3,959 miles), a measured distance of 100 miles is in reality 100*4,200/3,959 = 106 miles. A country with a measured area of 250,000 sqmi has in reality an area of 250,000*(4,200/3,959)^2 = 281,363 sqmi. Same goes for a planet that's smaller than Earth.

Easy peasy, right?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Yeah I was just about to come back and suggest that! It's less convenient, and means you'd have to be careful not to either convert a number twice or forget to do it, but at least it would work

Apparently the pro version of Google Earth lets you measure areas by creating polygons... but it costs 321€

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raptori View Post
    Yeah I was just about to come back and suggest that! It's less convenient, and means you'd have to be careful not to either convert a number twice or forget to do it, but at least it would work

Apparently the pro version of Google Earth lets you measure areas by creating polygons... but it costs 321€
    321 €? I think I'll pass! (what is it with that number anyway? Are they counting down to zero euros in your pocket or something? )
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    321 €? I think I'll pass!
    I know, right! I was expecting to see something like 10€ at most, 300+ is absolutely shocking - though it's aimed at businesses so I guess they can charge a lot for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    (what is it with that number anyway? Are they counting down to zero euros in your pocket or something? )
    Lol! I was guessing they had priced it in USD and then converted it, but I like your explanation better

Very nice work so far Raptori! I Like the general look, it makes me think of a good scifi novel. Do you intend to do it as a fantasy world like Pern?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice work so far Raptori! I Like the general look, it makes me think of a good scifi novel. Do you intend to do it as a fantasy world like Pern?
    Thanks

Actually I've never heard of Pern! But yeah it's a fantasy world, though much closer to the real world than most fantasy in some ways. I could probably go on about it for several pages but I won't bore you with all the details

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast