Thread: Fantasy World Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Fantasy World Map

I've slowly been bringing together some ideas I have for a fantasy series I'd like to write, and started to get them a bit more organised over the last couple of weeks. I wanted to create a realistic world for the series, with a realistic climate and consistent distances in particular. Having found this forum and seen some of the beautiful work on here I've started to map the world before deciding anything else, since that way I'll have a base to work from and can use Google Earth to measure distances accurately.

I made the map below over the last couple of days, and exported some projections from G.Projector. Since it's just intended to give me a clear idea of what the world looks like, I stuck to a semi-realistic physical representation, kind of like what you'd see in a physical atlas of the real world. If I do end up writing about the world, I'd then use this as a reference for creating a set of maps for whichever region the book is set in (vorropohaiah's Atlas Elyden would be the inspiration for that!).

Any criticism would be very welcome, in particular whether or not the climate looks like it makes sense. Hopefully the general colours will make the climate self-evident in each area, but if anything needs explanation then let me know.

I started adding in some rivers, but it turned out that the smallest I could make them scaled up to roughly 10 miles wide according to Google Earth, so I'll just add those in on smaller scale maps. Generally speaking the planet is identical to Earth in terms of axial tilt, dimensions, orbital path etc, so standard principles should apply. I've labelled the continents with numbers in case anyone wants to refer to a specific area, since I don't have any names chosen yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world-map.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	799.7 KB 
ID:	61693

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	61694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	045.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	61696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	61695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	61697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	61698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	225.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	61699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	61700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315.png 
Views:	193 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	61701

There are a few details I'm not happy with (such as one of the northern tips of the main island in continent 3, as well as some of the mountain ranges), but since they don't really affect the overall scheme of things I've left them for now.

Anyway, let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Raptori; 02-28-2014 at 07:07 AM.