Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nautical Chart inspired New World

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Alright.

I added the fiefdom's names and did some polishing. I'm about to call it finished for now, though I'd be open for suggestion and some final "proof reading".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-V9.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	62243

I thought about naming the rivers and forests, but I think that'd be a bit much for this one. Jbgibson suggested working off this map for others displaying different informations. Might do that, sounds like a good idea.
    I didn't add a border because I want to use this image and put it into the bigger one. Adding a border now would mess with the scale/be too much trouble to add without messing up the scale. I'll rather make the big map a proper one with a nice border.

Soooooo... last chance for critiques, Lady's and Gentlemen!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I don't see where is the problem with forests and rivers labels. You don't have many labels on the map at the moment and you have plenty of room to add more.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Nice job on the compass rose!
    I agree with Max, there's room for forest and river names on this one if you want to include them. I think the very big fiefdom names create a feeling of "enough labels now!", and if this was a map for printing in a novel, then it'd be perfect, but at the size we are viewing it there's not really a reason for having them so big (other than esthetical, if you think it looks good). Making them smaller and slightly curved and angled to stretch across the fiefdom would make the map more airy.

As you said earlier, the font is probably not optimal. It's a little hard to read. But there are thousands of fonts online that are free to download if you only use them personally (and many that even are free for commercial use)! dafont.com is usually the first place I look when I need something new.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Thanks for the comments guys. I added names for the rivers and a few forests. After a second look I agree that there is more than enough spce for the labels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-Final.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	62360

But now, with all it's flaws, I'm calling it finished. It'll go into the bigger map anyway, so I see this more as a testrun.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I'd avoid blue color on rivers labels and make them white to be consistent with the rivers color (or make the river color blue to match the labels). Also you should try to work more on curves to follow river courses (though the font you used isn't probably the best one to work with).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123