Hello all,

As I am slowly completing a fantasy novel, I am seriously thinking of adding a map. I thought of doing it myself but I am struggling too much with mapmaking software and I do not have the time required to learn the craft. So I am commissioning the art.

The book is not sold yet but I have a publisher very interested. (I will of course buy the map, whether I sell the book or not!)

Here is the description of the job:

- B&W designed for printing in books (I am thinking about line art, like the maps in Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy or GRR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, but I am no expert)
- Format: A4, but needs to be legible at paperback size
- Regional, fairly simple map (a handful of countries, some natural features such as mountains and highlands, a coastline)
- Style: roughly 18-19th century
- The map would have a stylized compass (this world has specific features implying a specific orientation method, more details will be given in private)
- Map in French (no understanding of the language is necessary, I will give all the necessary labels, but accents will be used)
- I have a roughly drawn outline of the map that can be used as an easy reference by the artist (I have quite a precise idea of what I am looking for, especially for the natural features, so a few passes between the artist and I might be necessary before we get to the final product).

The legal stuff:
- I need to be able to commercially use the map to my liking (linked to the book), so that would mean I have to buy the copyright. A signed contract would be established. The artist would retain the right to showcase the map in his own portfolio, of course, but not use it commercially.
- I would like having separate layers for the labels (in case translations of the book happen)

Allow me to say that I have absolutely no idea of the rates in practice. To be fully honest, as I would commission the artist out of my own pocket, I cannot offer a lot, but I still want to offer a fair rate.

This novel is part of a larger world, so, if all goes well, there *might* be more work in the future.

Please send me a PM with some examples of your work and rates if you are interested, so that we might discuss things further!