Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madness at Gardmore Abbey - Catacombs

Guild Journeyer

Default Madness at Gardmore Abbey - Catacombs

Hey all! I just picked up GIMP a couple days ago and making my foray into creating my first map/dungeon. If anyone has any advice as I begin learning the ins and outs or tips form the pros - love to hear feedback :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catacombs3.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	61752

Current edition. Day2 much more to go!

Guild Journeyer

New edition - oh and i've swapped some thing around in the map to go along with my Eberron conversion of Madness at Gardmore Abbey.

Name:	Catacombs6.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	61760
    Last edited by Kennyt; 02-25-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Wow, this is great so far, especially for your first map. It certainly looks like a really nice dungeon, and one I'd probably enjoy exploring in a game. The colour palette you've stuck to is lovely and it works well with all the textures. Only criticism I have right now is that I think it would be better if you didn't make the compass rose textured as well. In my opinion, it might be better if you made it stand out more, like add some bevel or something to it. Same goes for the title. Aside from that, good job!

Guild Journeyer

@Seredemia - Thanks! I jumped in on the deep end with GIMP for sure - unfortunately i think i will have to redo the whole thing. The squares are not"industry standard, i made them only 50x50, so most players will have to blow the map up a bit for it to fit with tokens, meaning it gets a bit blurred :-( BUT it was great learning experience and i am hoping i can redo it in half the time!

Here was a couple websites i found useful to my first foray into the program

How to Extract an Image in GIMP: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

Texturing Tutorial Floor Tile GIMP Blender - YouTube - Great vid on how i made the floor.

And the where i got my inspiration for delving into it:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...nter-maps.html
    Last edited by Kennyt; 02-25-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Your map looked nice to begin with, and it's looking better with each update.
    Personally I wouldn’t worry about the 50px grid size. All the VTT programs that I’ve used rescale tokens to fit the grid, and in the case of overhead tokens the tokens are more likely to be 200x200px or 400x400px than 100x100px anyway.

100px or 200px maps look nicer zoomed in, but more often than not I end up zooming out enough that a 50px per square map would look exactly the same.

Guild Journeyer

ok i made a completely new version BEFORE i saw your comments Raiko :-P i think i liked my colors on the first version better but it only took me about 3 hours compared to 12 hours to make this one :-P I will probably add a version with the non textured compass rose/ writing as seredemia suggested. More to come!

Name:	Catacombs-Final.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	62058
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catacombs-resized.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	61783  
    Last edited by Kennyt; 03-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Guild Journeyer

@Raiko - Blah you were right, even when I changed the dpi from 50 to 70 the map pretty much looked the same inside the roll20 app, i was hoping to have the same resolution - sigh. Well slightly better but not worth the effort that is sure. oh well. :-s It could also be that i had to cut the map in 3 segments to upload it then reattach them.

Kennyt, export your map as a jpg, not as a png, then try again. You should not be trying to post .pngs online (unless they are tiny tokens, but that's a special case) unless you need the alpha channel, which you don't in this case.

EDIT: I recently explained this here http://www.cartographersguild.com/ge...tml#post235541 ; see point 2.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 02-25-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Guild Journeyer

Awesome Jack - Had i read this before, i coulda saved alot of time - Great knowledge!

Guild Journeyer

In the meantime, threw together a little HUD, courteous of some inspiration from HERE.

Name:	Eberron-HUD.png 
Views:	255 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	61797
    Last edited by Kennyt; 02-26-2014 at 04:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast