Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gwernia (reimagined from the N64)

Guild Member Facebook Connected Micah Doulos's Avatar

Wip Gwernia (reimagined from the N64)

Hello All!

I was told I should post this map here and that some of you may find it interesting. If you have ever played Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage on the Nintendo 64, you'll recognize the name Gwernia. Gwernia is a small coastal town in the game, with a small castle (yet way too big for the town!). In the map below I've reimagined the town and the castle. The town is 4-5 times larger and the castle is easily twice it's original size. I thought it would be cool if a game developer remade the game and used a town layout like my reimagined one, but that's all just fanciful dreaming. In the least maybe it will please this forum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TownandKeep.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	810.1 KB 
ID:	61759

This map isn't finished. It\s all ocean to the east and a moat to the west. I've used a combination of drawing by hand and MSPaint to construct this. Paint was simply used for reoccurring geometric shapes such as the circle for the towers and the rectangle for the buildings. I plan on expanding the map westward and southwest. The town will sprawl out to the south west outside of the curtain walls but still in sight of the castle. The castle will also protect a bay to the south where a shipyard there connects with the exterior village. What do you guys think?

I would really like to see a less buggy version of this game. It was one of my first RPG of this kind but still not so great. I just feel nostalgic I guess.

The city is looking good, I just can't find the ogres that are coming to kill the poor level 5 characters....
    I'm not sure that the city should sprawl that far from the other part but I guess I still have no idea of what the surrounding look like.

Not one I played I'm afraid but my library for the N64 was pretty small.

I do like the layout of the town. I looked for a reference as a comparison and found this - I assume Gwernia is the castle and settlement in the top right? Definitely a bit more realistic! But then most towns in RPGs aren't very realistic.

Ooh, that's looking great Micah! Never played the game either, but you've done a fine job with the map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Not one I played I'm afraid but my library for the N64 was pretty small.

I do like the layout of the town. I looked for a reference as a comparison and found this - I assume Gwernia is the castle and settlement in the top right? Definitely a bit more realistic! But then most towns in RPGs aren't very realistic.
    Wow. Good find. That's a nice custom layout of half of the world map. I wish I had that map while playing the game through the first couple of times. The towns aren't very big but the world is, and the main character has nothing to ride and runs so SLOW! Gah! One wrong turn and you could be lost for a while. But yes, Gwernia is the top right town/castle. As you can see, it's tiny. It would be nice to see more realistic towns in RPGS. Even modern games such as Skyrim have horribly unrealistic cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I would really like to see a less buggy version of this game. It was one of my first RPG of this kind but still not so great. I just feel nostalgic I guess.

The city is looking good, I just can't find the ogres that are coming to kill the poor level 5 characters....
    I'm not sure that the city should sprawl that far from the other part but I guess I still have no idea of what the surrounding look like.
    Yeah, lack of quality graphics and sound did a lot to keep this really good rpg from going mainstream. A remake would be awesome. As for the surroundings. I think you'll find the finished map to be fitting and believable.

Here is some concept work I did for Gwernia to get to where I'm at.

Name:	conceptgwernia.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	616.2 KB 
ID:	61789

Name:	conceptgwernia2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	61790

As you can see, the finished project will have mountains on the west side that create a chokepoint along the moat. Also note the village extending to the southwest.

Another town I'm working on from the same game is Erromon. In the map that Larb linked to, Erromon is found on the far left side. Erromon is inhabited by Mirari, a group of dwarf life green skinned people who live in the caves and also make buildings to live in outside of the caves. In my reimagined game. The Mirari don't live above the surface at all, choosing to live solely in the mountains. To defend Gwernia from invasions through the Western Mountains, the king has established Fort Erromon in this strategic mountain pass. Mirari live in caves "Erromon", and the humans live on the surface and protect both the pass and the Mirari in Fort Erromon.

Name:	concepterromon.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	722.5 KB 
ID:	61792

I painted this extremely quickly just to give you a better idea of what everything is.

Name:	concepterromoncolor.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	858.5 KB 
ID:	61791

Woah, all of these are looking great! You're making me wish I played this game now so I have more of an idea of what you're mapping from.

I'm pretty sure it's free to download given it's so old. Here's the links:

You'll need a computer program that plays nintendo 64 games:
    The Emulator Zone - Project64

And the game:
    Aidyn Chronicles - The First Mage ROM Download for Nintendo 64 / N64 - CoolROM.com

If the first link doesn't work, p64 is available on the second website as well. Just a warning, if you do decide to play, be prepared to lose a couple weeks of your free time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast