Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February/March 2014 Lite Mapping Challenge: unnamed map

Thanks Arsheesh and Azelor.

Another day, another update. All of the colours have now been redone, except for the beaches/desert. I've also done two versions--one which shows the original drawing, and the other where the drawing is hidden. Which do people prefer (or, I should say, which do people think has the most promise)?

The main task that remains is to add the labels/places and stories. I doubt the map will be finished in time, but I will make sure to add at least one more update before Bogie calls the challenge closed. I've also been drawing some medallions for some of the stories (Baba Yaga, Little Mermaid, Rapunzel, and the Pied Piper), which I'll try to add for the next version.

EDIT: another thing I am planning on doing with this map is giving it a background texture of some sort (parchment, or old textile; that kinda thing). Unfortunately, when I tried to do so, it messed up the colours. Does anyone know a good way of applying textures without ruining the colour scheme?

THW.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folktale Map 07A.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	62270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folktale Map 07B.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	62271  
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 03-13-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Personally I like both but I prefer the first (the one which shows the original drawing).
    As for the texture, as far as I know, I think you could desaturate a bit or completely the parchment\paper you plan to apply, for minimum interference with the original colour scheme; but maybe some of the more expert guys here could have a better advice.

I like the first one with the original drawing the best. Looking great!

I'm going to contradict the others and say that I prefer the second one. Your map is pale and I think using some black lines help to define the different elements. Otherwise they tend to blend one into another.
    That being said, I would lower the opacity of some lines ; around the rivers and the marsh for example because the contrast seems pretty strong. Or maybe smaller lines?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Thanks Arsheesh and Azelor.
    EDIT: another thing I am planning on doing with this map is giving it a background texture of some sort (parchment, or old textile; that kinda thing). Unfortunately, when I tried to do so, it messed up the colours. Does anyone know a good way of applying textures without ruining the colour scheme?

THW.

### Latest WIP ###
    You should have thought about it before going on colors. now you've done it, adding some parchment background (wherever you use it as a background layer or some blending layer), this will change your colors. Now the best way is probably to get some paper/parchment textured paper with a light color that you can set over the map with multiply bleding mode (play with opacity to set it to your tastes) or combinate a few blending modes layers. It will depend on the texture you'll use.

From those responses, I think I'll stick with the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    You should have thought about it before going on colors. now you've done it, adding some parchment background (wherever you use it as a background layer or some blending layer), this will change your colors. Now the best way is probably to get some paper/parchment textured paper with a light color that you can set over the map with multiply bleding mode (play with opacity to set it to your tastes) or combinate a few blending modes layers. It will depend on the texture you'll use.
    Max, you're right, but, frankly, I forgot about the texture until it was too late. I will probably not bother adding a texture at this stage, but thanks for the suggestion. It might come in handy next time.

This is not a finished map, but it is probably the last update I'll be able to provide before the voting begins. As is probably obvious, some, but far from all, of the labels are in (and rather hastily done, unfortunately), and the colours are finished. I didn't get round to adding the medallions, but I'm going to keep working on this map even after the challenge is over, and so they will be there eventually. Thanks to everyone for the comments received thus far, and, given that this map is not finished, any suggestions to improve it are greatly appreciated (especially my labelling; as is probably obvious from this and my Guildpark Zoo map, labelling isn't my strong point).

THW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folktale Map 08.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	62284  

The only thing I don't quite like on it at the moment is the icons - they don't really fit that well with the style of the background yet.

The mist in those mountains makes them look awesome. The trees and forests look great, and the coastlines are perfect. I think this map is the best example I've seen of a map showing a continent/nation with consistent perspective - most of the time the land, roads, borders, etc are top down, while the mountains and trees are in perspective, which to me makes the map look really odd. I think that's why I love this map so much

Glad you keep the first one (the one I prefer ), even if the second is somehow interesting!

I agree with Raptori about the icons. You should maybe go for a more drawn style to fit the rest of the map (linework squares, crosses...?).
    As for the background texture, the recommandations of - Max - are just good imo, and I'll simply add that the multiply blend effect will work even better on a texture in shades of grey.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Max, you're right, but, frankly, I forgot about the texture until it was too late. I will probably not bother adding a texture at this stage, but thanks for the suggestion. It might come in handy next time.
    This could be an easy and quick step. If you don't mind, attached below is your map with a texture quickly thrown in at multiply blending mode, you can see what it would look like with just 1 minute work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	texture sample.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	62286

Thanks Raptori, that is high praise indeed.

I agree with you and Ilanthar about the icons. I spent most of today trying to decide on a good style, checking out what other people have done, doing a few tests, and I still wasn't pleased with the outcome. I'll keep trying though. I like Ilanthar's suggestion of a drawn style of icon.

@Max: hey that looks really good. I had done a test, and didn't like it, but I think the problem was I used a much more crinkly-looking parchment, which caused a lot more distortion. Thanks for showing me that; I'll try it out tomorrow (it's late here in Aussieland, right now).

THW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast