Thread: My First Map On This Site - Eastern Coast of the Great Continent

Map My First Map On This Site - Eastern Coast of the Great Continent

I just joined this forum, and I have made my first map for it:imgur: the simple image sharer
    It started as a scribble, and I thought it would make a good coastline, so I got out another piece of paper and made this. I drew it and scanned it onto my computer.

I didn't add color because I wanted it to look handmade and old, and I guess I thought that not adding color would make it look unique/old.

I know it isn't the best, so please feel free to criticize!

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

This is a great start! You've already given me some food for thought - the '1 day travel' scale is inspired! I've always worried about scale on my maps; I spend ages trying to work out how far things should be away from one another and agonize about how to depict the scale. I never even considered specifying distance as travel time

If I could offer some creative criticism, though - assuming that your travel time is given for a person travelling on foot, you've got a heck of a lot of cities in close proximity to one another; from a rough measure you've got (in the centre) 5 cities less than 6 hours away from one another. I'm definitely not an expert on cities but you should consider that cities are quite few and far between - they certainly don't pop up right next to one another - there wouldn't be enough room for them all, for a start, and cities require an alarming amount of produce to survive which means that a lot of land around the city would be given over to farmland (there might be a village or town in the midst of the farms - typically along frequently used trade routes - which would be almost like your suburbs). City placement is also important - ports mean cities because people have to go through them and they generate trade; places where two or more trade routes converge can, sometimes, mean a city (though, more often than not, it will be a village or town which has an inn or two to support those travelers who wish to stay the night); strategic locations can mean cities, too, where a castle has been built to protect the surrounding countryside (or as a display of some local lord's power and deep pockets) and a town has grown up around it.
    You've got the coastal towns idea down, but watch out for those towns which appear to be in the middle of nowhere - why are they there? If you can answer this question in a way which is plausible, leave them in. If not, they shouldn't be there. Is it a mining town huddled against a mountain or is it a fishing village at the edge of a great lake? Is it surrounded by farms which provide sustenance for a nearby city? Is it next to a forest and provides lumber? Always question what's going on in each of your towns.

I'm going to leave it at that - hope that helps you!

Great first effort on a map, I really hope to see some more soon!

Happy Mapping!
    If at first you don't succeed; try, try again. If you still don't succeed; go to the tutorials section!

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

First off, welcome to the Guild Benemap! Second, nice work on this. Look forward to seeing more of your work in the days to come.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh