Thread: For all Canadians with an eye on the sky...

Blog Entries

Post For all Canadians with an eye on the sky...

Total solar eclipse tomorrow. I am sure that those under it knew already but I was in the dark... ho ho

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/...2008-fig03.GIF

Gotta be well East (and way up North it seems too) tho to catch the full extent.

If anyone would like to try a small experiment (relevant to mapping) with a partial eclipse which I reckon you would get west of that then stand near to a tree (with plenty of leaves) and take a photo of the shadow of it when its near eclipsed. Just point and leave a camera running on movie mode whilst it happens not to waste viewing time... Its supposed to look good.

If its real cloudy and doesn't look like its worth going out for then take a thermometer out with you - that was the bit that surprised me the most when one passed this way a few years back.

I'd tell you the time of it but I get all confused with time zones and BST, UTM hour shifts etc.

Full bung about it at nasa here :-
    http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/...8/TSE2008.html
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-31-2008 at 04:29 PM.

We had one here a while back and the shadows were very pretty. The closer you get to totality the better the shadows look. One note for those taking pictures: you will want dappled shade with little bits of sunlight rather than full shade. An aspen or willow will work well if you have one handy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'm just reading King Solomon's Mines....shame I'm not there!
    Well I am told that were going to get about a 10% bite taken out of the sun. London is supposed to have sunny spells for tomorrow so maybe see something interesting - not enough to notice a big drop in light or get any special shadow effects or whatever but i'll see if I can get a photo but mneh... this is Britain with its notorious weather and it was heavy cloud all day today.

For us in UK it starts at 10:30 BST and runs through to 11:20 but I reckon 10:50 will be the time to look if there is something to see.

Was also advised to check out APOD for a few days back... specifically...
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080730.html

Today is your lucky day if you are captured by gullible superstitious cannibals in Canada. If you don't free me I will make the sun go away!