Thread: Hey! I'm a new newbie cartographer

Default Hey! I'm a new newbie cartographer

Hi everyone....

Thought I'd pop by and offer my greetings. I'm here mainly to hang with like minded peeps as well as learn some skills to make some half descent maps for my campaign.

I've just got myself a Wacom Cintiq 12xw and I've got Photoshop CS5, all I am lacking is talent and any idea of what to do

I ideally want to create dungeon, city and overland maps.

I was wondering if anyone had any good resources or advice (in addition to the tutorials here).

Many thanks

Welcome to the Guild RWAP! If you want to use pre-made elements for dungeon maps, I have a lot of them in my thread in the "mapping elements" forum. Also there are thousands of great objects you can find on rpgmapshare.com and in the forums, at Dundjinni.com.

Thank you for the welcome Bogie and I appreciate the heads up about the very useful source material in Mapping Elements.

I've looked at some of the maps which have been made and I don't know where to start. I think I might need to get to grips with PS a little more before I attempt anything to fancy.

My gaming group are going to be visiting a large city and I would like to draw/build a usable map from scratch. That might need to wait until I make sense of the software.

Welcome to the Guild RWAP! Well you have some great software, the best advice I can offer is to put it to good use. Create an Inspiration folder and fill it with maps that you really like. Study these and then practice drawing maps in different styles till you develop your own method and style.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the welcome Arsheesh. I appreciate the good advice and I've collected some nice maps for inspiration.

I had my tablet running on my server while I was studying but encountered some quality issues with my tablet. After installing Win 7, its a lot better.