Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The OldSchoolDM uses YOUR maps for 3D terrain-laden D&D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected F. Randall Farmer's Avatar

Post The OldSchoolDM uses YOUR maps for 3D terrain-laden D&D

I'm a game master that uses 3d terrain, and discovered this wonderful site only a few months ago (you can see my stuff here: http://the-forsite-irregulars.obsidianportal.com/ )

For some reason, my first post has been awaiting moderation approval for awhile, so hopefully you'll see my builds soon.

I'll stop back here whenever I feature one of the wonderful play-maps created by the great folks here. Hope you like the photos, because I just love sharing your wonderful maps with my players.

OldSchoolDM

Welcome Randall. I've seen your wonderful terrain photos before - really amazing!

Praise

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Welcome Randall. I've seen your wonderful terrain photos before - really amazing!
    Dude! Totally love your Gardmore Abbey maps - if I'd only discovered them earlier. Are you a mod? Can you approve the post I made to your thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...nter-maps.html) or should I just repost?

Thanks - I'm not a mod and I can't see your post. If there are lots of links in your first post, it will be held up for a while as the mods check you are not a spambot. You can try reposting with no links, but your post will probably appear in due course if you wait.

... - if I'd only discovered them earlier
    I assumed you had - I noticed a really awful collage I made for my own PC group on your linked webpage. I'm delighted that you decided to use it; now I wish I had made it a bit better!

EDIT: http://www.cartographersguild.com/vi...tml#post179340
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 02-28-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Oh yes! That was yours too! That was very helpful to the group for visualizing it. I turned it into a painting that hung in Wrafton's Inn in Winterhaven. Here's my heavily photoshop-filtered version:

Saturated the colors to look more like paint, fuzzed it up a bit, dirtied up the corners, added canvas grain, and eventually printed it 5x10" paper to use as a reference during sessions...

I also used this image on the quest-cards...

and that tower image inspired my watchtower build...

Last edited by F. Randall Farmer; 02-28-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Welcome to the guild! Let me say I am blown away by the effort you put into your campaigns! Wow! I wish I could match that hahaha I am sure you will fit right in here.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Welcome to the Guild F. Randall Farmer! The reason your post got hung up in moderation was simply a standard precaution - it happens to all new members posting links. I've approved the post now for you. I love the 3D terrain sets you've built. Years ago I built some dungeon sets using hirst arts but had to sell them when I moved. Anyway, nice to meet you and have fun gaming.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

I have seen your flicker stream and you are awesome! I have a storage problem. Where do you keep all of this? Do you have a U Haul parked in your driveway? A garage, with a car parked on the street? Keep up the great work.

Post FOUND: Free storage space!

Quote Originally Posted by KartoKilt View Post
    I have seen your flicker stream and you are awesome! I have a storage problem. Where do you keep all of this? Do you have a U Haul parked in your driveway? A garage, with a car parked on the street? Keep up the great work.
    Thanks KartoKilt. I did start running into a storage problem, but decided to do something about it by kitbashing my builds to "fold flat". If you look at my posts (as OldSchoolDM) over on cardboard-warriors.proboards.com you will see a LOT of kitbashes where I make 3D models that store flat.

For example, what to you think this is?

Here's a hint:

And that stack expanded is:

(Minus the cart)

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE:

Interiors kitbashed in!

---

I even add interiors and compress more complex structures (as much as I can):

Collapsed:

Expanded:

Roof-off:

2nd floor removed:

See more about it here: Blacksmith (building) and Metal Smiths (Minis) | Cardboard Warriors forum

Oh! I forgot that I made the following image to show how much of Winterhaven was fold-flat:

Hmm. The clock tower collapses as well. Forgot to circle that.

It makes a BIG difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast