Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Westeros War (Coffee) Table

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilanthar View Post
    i'm imagining the seats of powers (king's landing, highgarden, winterfell, sunspear...) as placements for coffee mugs... Since they are quite around the table
    this!!!

Inlay rare and expensive woods using the rings to like topography lines, also guild the outside in precious metals and gems! Sorry you map and idea are just so good it seems like the start of the description of some famous item from a fantasy novel lending itself to that sort of thing. Ilanthar's idea was very good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140309_154633.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	62201 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140309_154641.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	62202

Here's a few pics from today, showing the table from an angle. Really not that deep as far as the carving goes, but it's enough to show the difference from land/water. I'm planning on spending the next several days smoothing out each section, basically where the ocean cuts into the land.

Looking really good. Are you going to do something like stain the wood to differentiate the land and sea even more when it's done? It's hard to tell how good the contrast would be irl from pictures...

lots of great ideas in here! But the best is of course making this coffee table at all! I am so looking forward to seeing it finished.
    …And now I really want one for myself with middle earth on it. Or better yet, my own world.
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

Got around to doing some more work today, finishing all the rivers using a Dremel tool. Much quicker and cleaner than using a nail. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	62558 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dremelrivers.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	62559

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skagos.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	62560

Also has anyone here ever done any pyrography? Like using a special soldering iron to burn/draw on wood? I just found a ton of stuff about it online, and I think I know how I'm going to do labels and mountains.

I had the same wood burning tool everyone seemed to have when I was a kid, not sure that counts. We'd heat up an old junk knife on an industrial burner at one of the places I worked to carefully inscribed a baseballbat with the words "complaint department" and an artistically rendered head of garlic, but I'm not sure that qualifies any more than the child's wood burning kit. I can say that its fun to draw on wood with hot objects and not overly difficult if you do some practice on something less loved beforehand.

Well, just bought this bad boy today at Lowe's for 19 bucks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gear.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	62768

Started messing around with it, did some practice words and such, then placed "Winterfell" on the map. Only like 50 more labels left! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BurnTest1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	62769 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winterfell.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	62770

And I thought labeling was tedious in Photoshop. The dremel rivers are looking good, what tip did you use to do that? I have one but am terribly inexperienced with it so its nice to get an idea of what does what.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast