Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Westeros War (Coffee) Table

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Westeros War (Coffee) Table

Wow. It took me over a week to find the "new thread" button. Maybe more than just shades of brown could be used here? Sorry, I've never forum-ed in my life, I don't even Reddit, never learned it.

Anyway, I have some pictures of my map, the hand carved wood map of Westeros from A Song of Ice and Fire, carved atop a coffee table. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinishChiseling.jpg 
Views:	746 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	61943
    I've been basically done carving the outline of the island for about a month now, and have been smoothing out the areas of water. In this picture you can see the right side of that bay is much smoother than the left. I have been going around and cleaning up where I made rough chisel cuts to get the basic shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RiverNailing.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	61944
    Also I have been working on rivers (mostly when I tire of cleaning up the rough spots). These are done by using a 16d framing nail, basically tracing my pencil-drawn rivers until they have depth.

Now that I've sort of figured this site out, I should be able to keep you all more posted on the progress of this map.

From one incompetent and inexperienced forum user to another I feel your pain. I can't wait to see this piece finished on down the road.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Now that's a nice idea! I'm curious about how you're going to depict mountains, if you plan on doing that.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

This will be amazing! Are you planning to paint it too? Could look wonderful with nothing but an oil treatment, of course… In either case I'm looking forward to seeing it

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    This will be amazing! Are you planning to paint it too? Could look wonderful with nothing but an oil treatment, of course… In either case I'm looking forward to seeing it
    You could also use different oils to achieve different colors, might give a cool effect

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140216_164915.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	61959

Also, here is a shot of the entire table, showing the outline.

So, you're gonna have a table-map of the Seven Kingdoms... a bit like the giant table in Dragonstone? That's just awesome

Its such a cool idea, and its so beautiful.

Yes, just like Stannis' war table! I realize though that my apartment doesn't have a giant war room like dragonstone, so I went with the war coffee table. I do plan on staining it different colors when it's done (blues/greens in the ocean, browns and such for land). Still not sure on mountains, I might leave it flat on land. This is my coffee table after all, I still use it as one.

Perhaps you could do a simple "drawing" (or carving) linework for mountains? I'm imagining the seats of powers (king's landing, highgarden, winterfell, sunspear...) as placements for coffee mugs... since they are quite around the table

You already have an incredible and original map!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast