Thread: Help files/manuals for wilbur?

Question Help files/manuals for wilbur?

Heyas;

I just downloaded Wilbur this morning, and it's been fun playing around with it, but when I hit the help button, I get an error message that the program can't can't find any help files installed. If anyone has any info on where I can get a hold of help files or any other info on how to use Wilbur - beyond the plethora of tutorials - I'd appreciate it.

TTFN

The same place that you downloaded the program should have the documentation (it's a bit old, but still documentation). It's a bit out of date and has never been converted to a help file (or cluster of HTML files).

The odds are good that you'll learn more from the various tutorials scattered around than you will from the existing documentation, though.

On the plus side, the Wilbur web site says that the author lives in Ridgecrest, CA. Maybe you can apply local pressure.
    Last edited by waldronate; 03-02-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Default Aha!!

AHA!!! I knew it! When I looked at the home page I could fill in the blanks!! My dad retired from Ch**a L**ke and my brother still works there......I graduated from BHS in 1971 - Got away several times, but always came back. Guess I'm just a hard core Ridgecrustacean.....

Gee, and I didn't have to make 5 posts to pm you.

ps: how hard is it to apply Photoshop tutorials to GIMP?
    Last edited by RJsDad; 03-03-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: add a question

Some Photoshop tutorials seem to transfer well to GIMP, others not so much. I don't have a lot of experience with the differences between the two because I don't use GIMP, but it's a common topic hereabouts.

Too many BHS graduates have discovered over the years that Ridgecrest truly sucks. It sucks so hard that they frequently end up stuck here on the drain cover FOREVER!

Well, true, but at my age the pace of life here seems to suit me ok. But another matter......

Could I prevail upon you to maybe post a small tut on using the math functions in wilbur? I'd like to make an island map with a volcano/caldera on it. I've played around with it a bit, but just can't get the mound fill right.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...6-islands.html might be useful.
    10*exp(-r)*ln(r)*curval evaluated over -10 to +10 gives something like the attachment (-5 to +5 is also fertile ground):
    And there's always the crater(r) function...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	61983  
    Last edited by waldronate; 03-03-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hell I wish that the ~jslayton pages had a damn index of all the articles out there. I'dprobably spend a week going through them.

The main Wilbur download page at Current Wilbur Version has links to 8 Wilbur tutorials. It doesn't have a link to the Fractal Terrains tutorial at Tutorial for Cartographer’s Guild because that's properly an FT tutorial and not a Wilbur tutorial.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

and there goes some free time. We'll see if I can answer my own queston on a map I'm working on or if I need to come back to you! Thanks!