Thread: How North Ended up on Top of the Map

I just can't explain why, for me, it looks like there's more water on Earth with the south pole represented on the top of a map!

Blog Entries

Interesting article... with comments that make me wish I lived on a different planet

also FYIand only semi-relevant, if at all) The north star does move, and eventually, it won't be north anymore... 's just happening so slowly...
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Fascinating... I never stopped to consider why I associated "north" as "up". I'm reminded a bit of the thread that was posted about monster mapping and how your perception of the world affects things like maps! I suppose a human culture living next to a river might draw maps where "upstream" is "up" on the map, or whatever else is important to them.

A very interesting article indeed.

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    I was on a panel at a sci-fi lit convention with several authors that had provided their publishers with maps with North not at the top of the map. It turns out that 5 out of the 6 different publishers moved the symbol for north on the maps to the top of the map without changing the orientation of the map. This cuased the authors andtheir readers a great deal of annoyance. Even well labeled maps were changed. The publishing houses believe they knew better than the authors of the works.

Tracker