Thread: Building styles and other stuff

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post Building styles and other stuff

Here are the layer styles I've made so far for things like buildings, roads, walls, n other stuff. Use em directly or for inspiration and remember to remove the drop shadows when ready to render up the final shadow since the shadows here are more of a placeholder. Land 1, land 2, and desert require you to put the style on a clouds layer. BTW, these are for Photoshop. To use these most effectively, place your buildings with the flat sides in the cardinal directions, apply the layer style, create a new layer, merge the 2 layers (this flattens effectively removes the layer style and produces a raster layer similar to rasterizing a text layer) then rotate the building to fit the street it is on. If a building is rotated before flattening then the style doesn't match the roof slope. To achieve other cool effects apply a new layer style on top of this flattened out one or use gradient overlays instead of bevel/emboss to simulate height as in the market style because not all roofs were built this way...read up on some architecture to see what I mean about roof styles, there's a link somewhere around here I think. If you stack different shapes on different layers and subsequently use differing layer styles you can get something like the castle or lighthouse on my fjord map. The castle has 3 layers, the stone base, the castle roof, and the lil turret roofs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asc map styles.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	936.6 KB 
ID:	5612  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-31-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks...these ought to come in pretty handy.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Anytime bro, just here to help
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Praise Appreciating Your Style

Just wanted to say thank you for the styles, I saved and check them out and they are going to be very useful.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Sweet! Now I just need to find time to try out these and your cool brushes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    To use these most effectively, place your buildings with the flat sides in the cardinal directions, apply the layer style, create a new layer, merge the 2 layers (this flattens effectively removes the layer style and produces a raster layer similar to rasterizing a text layer) then rotate the building to fit the street it is on. If a building is rotated before flattening then the style doesn't match the roof slope.
    Oh god, thank you!! Thank you very much!!
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.

No prob. Tear them apart to see how I did them and you can come up with some of your own (for me to download )
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I was explicitely referring to your hint on flattening layers and rotating the objects afterwards. This was something that bugged me for quite some time
    But yes, I will have a long long look at those styles!

Also: Have my first white rep!
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.

Ah, gotcha. And, thank ya, thank ya vera much, unh huh.

Thanks for these, might have to try them out.