Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Map Tile Set

Guild Journeyer

MCC, question for you - how did you make the "pebbles" on this map - ingeniously random and believable. http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...ef-d7dnsge.jpg
    Check out my work in high-res on Deviant Art - HERE!

I used the same method I show in my battlemap tutorial. Step 3 discusses the brush I used, and 4 the layer effects. Basical I use a dynamic brush with scattering and a lot of randomness to place rocks where I think they go in a vague way, and then use some bevel and drop shadow to make them look a tad more 3D. If that doesn't answer your question let me know and I'll try to be more specific.

Very good job on these! I like when people pay attention to little details in their works.

Need a highly reliable, fully customizeable virtual table-top?
    Check out Skirmish! VT @ http://www.skirmish-vt.com
    Follow us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/skirmishvt

wow these look really nice.

This is my personal preferences though but hope it helps atleast.

1. Personally i prefer gridless, i myself use roll20 for my online games and it applies a grid. often its a great deal of trouble to align those gridlines to the gridlines on the map despite the function to align to grid built in. if i were to choose i would definitely prefer the dark grid over the white grid as it doesnt stand out as much.

2. 10x10 5ft grids are the perfect size in my opinion. if it is designed as tiles that can be added side by side to make a larger map its neither so small its annoying to put together or too large.

3. the maps look amazing, quite detailed. if i were to say a thing it would be that i miss large obstructions like trees for example that blocks field of view. i am a big fan of the dynamic lighting functions and i think it adds to the enjoyment of a map. but that is just my personal preference. (granted what i see on the map tiles you made i see as bushes. outlining dynamic lighting on maps requires drawing borders past which players cannot see and that doesnt work all too well with the kind of bushes that are there.)

sorry if this is a bit incoherent as i just finished a 10 hour d&d session and its 3:30am hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Leondias View Post
    wow these look really nice.
    sorry if this is a bit incoherent as i just finished a 10 hour d&d session and its 3:30am hehe.
    Never apologize for playing D&D to the point of incoherence.

Thanks for the imput. The dynamic lighting interaction with odd shape objects seems a bit problematic in general, blur circles instead of straight edged ones would be a good solution.

Your map style is really fantastic, and I'd like to try to learn to emulate it.

I have a quick question. When you create the floor texture here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...8&d=1396302158, is that just pulled straight from cgtextures or is there some kind of post processing? Specifically, are the lines between each individual stone a part of the original texture?

Thanks!

I do a couple of things typically after getting a good tiled texture, all aimed at making it look like the texture doesn't repeat as often. I usually do one or multiple of the following:
    1. Use the tiled floor pattern as a texture for the bevel effect in PS over a different stone texture.
    2. Put a different pattern (often a cloud like one) of larger size so it doesn't line up with the first faintly over it. I do this step pretty much every time.
    3. If the pattern allows for it make a copy rotate it and randomly erase parts of the top layer so that any unique sections aren't repeated as often.

Blog Entries

The Gimp has a plugin from Gmic
    http://gmic.eu/
    it has a "crack" and a "mosaic" filter
    examples : - i used the select tool to make a circle and used the plugin on the circle

both can be used to make paving stone area
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 01-20-2015 at 01:49 AM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thank you to both of you for the quick replies!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910