Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Tile Set

Your texture work is awesome, really great quality stuff. I'd love to see your process in working the textures, and possibly get a glance at your library, since I'm building my own as I need them. Your water is especially good. Do you make those little rocks and plants by hand?

Otherwise, really interesting stuff. I can't say I'd have any use for them in my games right now, but I'm sure somewhere down the road I'll need one or two.

I removed the grids and have about a dozen of these complete, but I fear spamming up the forums with them. I need to find a cheap way to host them in bulk for easy free handout. Most of my textures are derived from CGtextures, or I'd hand them out to you, but that would be against their policy. Mainly I just make them into seamless textures and add some extra randomness to avoid patterning on big maps like these with a lot or repeats. Both the rocks and plants are more a matter of custom brushes and a few layer effects than anything else (I use Photoshop). If I can figure out how to take a screen shot perhaps I could show a little more of the process.

OK started an account on deviant art to host things you can find the forest map tiles (as many as I've completed at least) here. I'm going to start on some caves and subterranean buildings next to skip around and because someone was interested. Here's my test tile for that set. The only thing I'm not sure if I am feeling are the mushrooms, which is to say yes those brown things are supposed to be mushrooms. The elevation lines are not subtle, but I find them hard to read otherwise to much? Feedback is much appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TileCD1.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	62506

And the test tile for the Lava section of the underground

Name:	TileCL1.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	62519

Guild Apprentice

These look great, i would love to know how you make the elevations. do you make them entirely in Photoshop? or do you use something else first then touch them up?

I've hosted close to a hundred of them over here. For the shadows my elevation shadows I have to methods. For the forest tiles where I wanted rolling hills I just use a very soft edge brush on a layer set to low opacity and crudely paint one side white and the other black, with very little need for accuracy. For the sharper dungeon shadows I use a irregular soft brush on a low opacity layer paint on the black line then use a much harder eraser to take off the back edge. Sometimes I go back and do a little bit of highlights along the edge with a thin soft white brush on a layer set to overlay. Which is a lot of words to say I just draw some funky black lines and cut off the back half.

Once I finish a couple more types of sections I want to tile together a few dozen of them and put up a fun example map.

OK a sampling of most, though not all the underground stuff I've completed so far. Next up I do the components for a large underground "great hall" like structures, then I move to underground ruined sections of city.

Name:	Sample.jpg 
Views:	1319 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	62791

These are really good MCC, I have to go checkout your DA gallery.

OK a super-miniaturized version of the great hall tiles I just finish. This is about half of them shaped into a really pointless large room thing. They honestly lack a lot of interest but I felt that there was I need for them so I went ahead and assembled them anyhow. Should allow for great halls, vast subterranean temples and the like.

Name:	Hallsample.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	62828

I spent all last night downloading all the tiles from your DeviantArt Gallery, and now you tell me there are more!!!!!!

Great work, amazing tiles!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast