Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tistla Näste - Commission

Map Tistla Näste - Commission

Hey!

Here is the finished map from the WIP, Town/City mapping. Tell me what you like! Rep- and/or critique is always welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tents_107b.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	70604
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Mixed thoughts here : the colors/execution/zooms are great but the overall layout is confusing and spread attention everywhere.

I agree with Max completely. Execution is fantastic, but layout is confusing and unfocussed. Repworthy, anyway. Nice job.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Yeah, I agree! It's a tricky one, because it's not the full camp. The full camp stretches far out. This is only the middle part of it. It's supposed to be confusing and cluttering. I think some more labels and street names may do it more focused, but the customer wanted it this way
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Banned User

I think it's perfect for a temporary tent town on the outskirts of a city. It SHOULD be a confusing unfocussed layout. What else could a temporary refuge tent city be except unorganized and unfocused?

Beautiful work! Love the colors.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

I'll agree with the others on some things, other things I have my own opinion about.

First of all, some great color choices for the map. Overall it's a very busy, dirty, and yet dull feeling, which gives the map lots of credibility, since it's trying to portray a tent-town. You also did a good job with the title... at first I wasn't happy about having a part of the map blocked out, but on closer inspection, I realized you did a good job.

One thing that threw me off, though, was the zoom-zones. At first, I didn't realize that they were supposed to be zoomed in (in fact, - Max - had to mention it before I could see). Even though I suppose the areas of note are slightly larger, the road remained the same size. So it doesn't look zoomed in to me. However, the bubbles themselves are good.

For the most part, I like the job you did with the roads too, though I think in a town like this the entire field would be a beaten path.
    Last edited by foremost; 02-05-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Like some of the previous comments I have mixed feeling about this map. There are some things that bothers me, however, my overall impression is good. I really like your color palette! The title parchment could use some work though.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Nice work Obbehobbe. At first I thought it was too confusing, but after your explanation I see the logic in that
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

I think that because it's only a snapshot of a greater whole it means you don't get to see the "shape" of the overall town which is why some people find it so busy or confusing. It is really well drawn though.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast