Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: {WIP} Arden Worldmap 2014

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I am still thinking a lot about which style would work in this and still hasnt decided on.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

If you want some input, maybe you could describe the options you're considering, or even make some small test pieces? That helps me often

Default Ariadne - Mapstyle

This Mapstyle is named "Ariadne" and is my most articulated "handdrawn" styled maps-elements-set with a solid white underlay for layered aplication of the mountains and other items in stacks. The forest is a smallerscaled and bleached out version of my regular solid green pineforests elements but due clientrequest bleached out a lot which fits surprisingly well and will be integrated into this style. It may slightly resembles Max`s minimal forestshadings but was created in a very different way by try&error. I think I should move away from a solid placement of masses of trees which worked well for Ramah on his maps but not realy on mine. So the directions I want to try more are individual sparse trees like on Blaeu Maps, and on the contrary some dense patternlike forests which goes in direction of the minimalistic shaded forests, which is a nice start here on this map.

The completely handdrawn coastoutlines in a 4px digital inkbrush with irregular ductus is kind of standartisized on all my works, which will be reduced in final use on 70-80% of its orriginal for Elements to intensify the look of the linework. Color-Burn layers and a slight tinting of the Mountains are placed carfully for an increase of contrasts without too much shading.

I will show samples of the other styles which are an option with similar detailed descriptions in the next weeks. Please feel free to add comments and critics on my work. I ahve been in a long paused due personal issues and hope to comeback once again.

Regards,
    Josephe Vandel
    Schwarzkreuz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample_01_Ariadne.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	653.0 KB 
ID:	63229  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Like I previously said to you, the ariadne mountains are great individually but the ranges aren't really convincting.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

I think otherwise. Those mountains are absolutely astonishing. I'm in love.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

What I meant is that the mountains are beautiful indeed. But it rather looks like a big block of mountains than a natural range.

I agree with Max. The mountains are beautifully drawn, as usual, but the moutain-mass between Lothrill's Pass and the city of Paradus does not look like a real/natural mountain-range to my eyes.
    The style in general looks great, though. Looking forward to the other styles you want to present to us.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Beautiful. I love those forests. The mountains are completely fantastic, but I agree with Max and Eilathen about their placement. The wave lines/coastal rings seem to digital compared to the rest, in my opinion, but maybe they are just placeholders?

Ok I seem to be outvoted on this style. I can see the critic points for the ranges.
    Here is another Forest in the same Set, but a Jungle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch-22.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	887.4 KB 
ID:	63269  

When you say jungle I see what you're trying to do with it, but it doesn't quite read like jungle to me on its own, especially compared with your other forest style in this setting. Could be just me. What if you put some individual trees around the outer edges of the jungle, and/or draw some tree trunks and shadows along the near edges, with maybe the hint of an occasional trunk on top for really tall trees sticking above the canopy. Or use your other forest style but change the value (so instead of bleaching it cold, burn it darker) or wash it with a transparent red oxide instead of just your water shade? The volcano is cool. The red lava in the shadows is pretty awesome. Anyway, it's good to see you back at it. I like where you're going with this one.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast