Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Paratorna

Default WIP - Paratorna

Hi folks!

Posting a WIP that is close to finish but not just yet. Might take the opportunity to let you say what you think first!

It's a part of Trakorien (old map I did two years ago), and the name of this island is Paratorna. It's 100 cm heigh so I attach a cropped part that is 100% zoomed.

Tell me what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paratorna4.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	71410
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paratorna3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	520.4 KB 
ID:	71411
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Looks great Obbehobbe! I really like the land shape and pallet!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

It's a very nice map! If you haven't mentioned it, I would have not guessed that it was a WIP.
    You do have a problem with your rivers though. Your lake has 2 outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It's a very nice map! If you haven't mentioned it, I would have not guessed that it was a WIP.
    You do have a problem with your rivers though. Your lake has 2 outlets.
    Ah yeah, that lake is supposed to be like that. I mentioned it to the author years ago, but he was keen keeping it that way, so just ignore it!
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Very nice map!... and not much more to say .

Banned User

That's not all that's wrong with the rivers ... you have several that have more than one mouth to the sea, that just never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    That's not all that's wrong with the rivers ... you have several that have more than one mouth to the sea, that just never happens.
    Yeah, I know. As I said, not much I can do when the author wants it this way. :/

Hello, I'm Erik Granström, the author of the books where this island is featured.

The thing with the two rivers from the lake is that this is a fantasy setting in a very animistic world. Communication and interaction with beings more elemental than humans are important aspects of the story. The mountain Ranz across the lake from Mazmatra is for instance alive and speaking, although too slowly for people to understand unless they are trained monks. One of the main characters is a wind witch who interacts and speaks with clouds and winds, etc.

In this case the two rivers are explained by the old hostility of two water streams that simply refuse to share the same outlet.

This world is described in four swedish fantasy novels totalling about 2300 pages. I'm currently writing the last one. Hopefully they someday will be available in English since I just got contracted by an international agent. We just agreed on tentative titles in English:

Brimstone sleep
    All Little Butchers
    Deeds of Wrath
    Wanderland

Feel free to comment on the titles!
    Last edited by Brior; 03-08-2015 at 05:31 AM.

Don't know how many times I've seen your name in the local bookstore over the past years, Erik Granström. Praise to you for still writing fantasy in Swedish, even though the market for it is so narrow. We definitely need more like you.

Concerning the titles, I would personally like Brimstone Winter(or something alike) rather than sleep. The original title is so strong, and poetic in a sense, that it invokes thought from just a single glance. To be frank, Brimstone Sleep seems more, simple, and "plain", opposite to the more elusive original.

Good luck on your next piece and the international publication.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Don't know how many times I've seen your name in the local bookstore over the past years, Erik Granström. Praise to you for still writing fantasy in Swedish, even though the market for it is so narrow. We definitely need more like you.

Concerning the titles, I would personally like Brimstone Winter(or something alike) rather than sleep. The original title is so strong, and poetic in a sense, that it invokes thought from just a single glance. To be frank, Brimstone Sleep seems more, simple, and "plain", opposite to the more elusive original.

Good luck on your next piece and the international publication.

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thanks Tainotim – it warms me to hear your appreciation!

We have discussed the titles a lot and "Brimstone Winter" is like you say a good alternative. (The original Swedish title is "Svavelvinter" - literally "Sulphur" + "Winter" combined into one word which you can do in Swedish to get all kinds of nice effects and new words.) Sadly either name lack the ring when you have to split it in English. It will work in German I believe: "Schwefelwinter".

This said, the titles are tentative and will certainly be discussed further if an english publisher shows interest. (My brand(t) new agent is "Brandts New Agency" in Barcelona by the way if anybody here happens to be a publisher ;-) )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast