Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** March Challenge - Make a 1 Page Dungeon ***

I needed an excuse to start my entry this year. I'm not sure what I'll do this time around though.

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Quick question (possibly long answer): looking through the entries for the OPDC, they all seem to make reference to 'enemies'... Are these 'enemies' from DnD or some other role-playing thing or do we just make stuff up that fits in with the dungeon? Do they have to have stats? Oh, and how flexible are we about 'dungeon'? Can this be something other than an underground, fantasy-style smelly old prison of sorts? Three questions there, then
    If at first you don't succeed; try, try again. If you still don't succeed; go to the tutorials section!

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

They can be whatever you want. Giving them stats isn't really recommended as the OPD is (ideally) system independent. You can look back through the older entries and see examples of things people have done - not all of them are dungeons or even all fantasy.

Guild Apprentice

Hmm... Is this supposed to be like. 1 page for the dungeon map and 1 page for the rooms and all of that extra flavor? I might join. I've been doing lots of dungeon mapping this/last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazou View Post
    Hmm... Is this supposed to be like. 1 page for the dungeon map and 1 page for the rooms and all of that extra flavor? I might join. I've been doing lots of dungeon mapping this/last week.
    No it's just supposed to be 1 side of one page. Everything, the map and the room key, all of it, needs to fit on that one page.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    No it's just supposed to be 1 side of one page. Everything, the map and the room key, all of it, needs to fit on that one page.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Cool. 1 page then... I gotta figure out how I'm going to key stuff and write the encounters on the one page.
    Maybe not... Feels like too much pain and effort trying to fit everything to one page.
    Last edited by Kazou; 03-19-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Dumb question- exactly what size is considered a "page"? Standard American 8.5x11 inches? Or could it be legal sized 8.5x14? Or 11x17?

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

the basic idea is to create a fully mapped and keyed dungeon that fits onto one side of a letter or A4 sheet of paper
    210x297mm is standard A4 size

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

there you see, I told you it was a dumb question!

thanks. I may or may not try this one. Honestly, I am not a rpg player so don't have much of a feel for this. I mean, a map I could do....the accompanying text to make it into some kind of playable scenario would be the challenge.

You don't have to do a fantasy RPG, you can do any type of setting. Make a map of your neighborhood and have the encounters be with vicious landlords, deadly stray dogs, and your neighbors. Part of the nice things about the OPD is that you don't need to include any stats or the like, in fact its discouraged so that it will work for any system (or no system at all).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast