Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** August challenge - Battlemap Tiles on the go ***

Post *** August challenge - Battlemap Tiles on the go ***

OH NO! It’s Friday night, and your friends want to have a quick pick up game of D&D (or some other similar game), but you have nothing planned! Hey, you have a book of monsters, and some challenges, but nothing mapped out for the session. Thank goodness for that small collection of ‘Dungeon Room Tiles’ you have sitting on the shelf. A few of those placed on the table and your good to go!
    In June of 2008, Dungeons and Dragons was released in its 4th edition incarnation, and the game is more geared towards using miniatures than previous editions. To celebrate the resurgence in using miniatures and gaming, this month’s challenge is to design a set of ‘Dungeon Room Tiles’ to form random dungeons when placed down. Create four to eight tiles that can be printed out to use for gaming while using miniatures.

The map tiles must represent portions of corridors, rooms, caves, buildings, etc, and should contain exits off at least two sides of the tile.

* This should be a ready to use map with all the objects and tokens already in place.
    * Tiles must be no larger than 8 one-inch squares by 10 one-inch squares (8.5x11 letter sheets or A4 paper) for printing purposes, and must have a grid to represent spacing/etc.
    * Those that wish to, can provide the maps sans objects and tokens once they have finished, but this is not a requirement of the challenge but would be appreciated by those of us that use VTs.
    * Extra consideration will be considered for those who provide an example dungeon using the tiles. Full writeup not necessary beyond notes of traps, monsters and treasures keys.

***NOTE*** you are not limited to eight tiles. The size must be no larger than 8"x10" with a 1-inch grid. The concept here is to make small random dungeons for gaming purposes.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 08-03-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Neon or CL, you should make this thread sticky and unsticky the July voting now. Also, could you edit the current month thumbnails sticky and change refs from 'Jul' to 'Aug' and then ill start that one off.

I'll use this as a place holder for this months entries and provide...

August 08 challenge Thumbnails

Code:
    ### New Challenge Entry:Gamerprinter,2651
    ### New Challenge Entry:yu gnomi,2652
    ### New Challenge Entry:Redrobes,2659
    ### New Challenge Entry:NeonKnight,2685
    ### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,2686
    ### New Challenge Entry:Lord,2723
    ### New Challenge Entry:RobA,2772
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-20-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Can we have multiple tiles on each 8x10 sheet that are intended to be cut out and placed separately or should we keep it to one tile per sheet?

Hmm, we may give this a go, Raith and Ol' Horsehair are only about every other weekend now that school and all its activities are about to commence, so if we do join in we may not start til the middle of the month, or maybe Lemur and Bumblemouse will Sketchup some blocks and tubes for subdivide and smoothing into caves and such, and the three of us will see what shapes up.
    We had been experimenting with caves and tunnels a bit ago, after our foray into Wind Cave, so they have the gist of it. We'll see, or maybe a mix of Leveller and the new Terragen Technolgy preview release,,,,,lots of options.

SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Vry View Post
    Can we have multiple tiles on each 8x10 sheet that are intended to be cut out and placed separately or should we keep it to one tile per sheet?
    Yup, it's just each tile should be no larger 8x10 to facilitate printing on a home printer.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Can we do up multiple sets? Like a set for floored (polished tiles and what not) and unfloored (rocky and dirty) dungeons? Or should we limit ourselves to just one set for a specific setting (like a troll cave)? If I'm reading this correctly there needs to be tokens as well...tokens for what, people and chests n stuff? Do these count towards the 4-8 tile restriction? I would assume not but I just want to clarify cuz I'm likely to create a token for just about anything (I'm obsessive like that). Lastly, this says dungeon but could it be more of an anywhere kind of thing like say some outdoor forest tiles where heroes get ambushed?

Thanks in advance for any info/help
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hm. This time, I'm in!

A question though—the resolution should be 300 dpi (for printing)?
    Last edited by true-chaotic; 08-03-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: question though...
    ˙ƃuıuɹoɯ sıɥʇ sǝunɹ ǝʌısoldxǝ pǝɹɐdǝɹd ı

You can make as many or as few as you wish.

As to DPI, as long as when a noob like me hits print it comes out with the grid at 1 inch, you're golden

You see, a 8" × 10" map in 300 dpi (usual quality for printing) is 2400px × 3000px and we need 4—8 of them
    ˙ƃuıuɹoɯ sıɥʇ sǝunɹ ǝʌısoldxǝ pǝɹɐdǝɹd ı

Is it intended for square tiles/grids only or are hex tiles/grids acceptable?

edit: never mind, on re-reading I saw the "squares" part. Oh well, that's one more month that gets to slip by.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast