Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ohio

Default Hello from Ohio

Hi everyone. This is Paul here writing from the north coast of the great state of Ohio. Just getting back into D&D with the 3.5 version after about a many year break -- The World of Greyhawk was our standard map "back in the day," for those of you who can date the reference.

Maps have always been one of those things I took for granted -- I know that somewhere, someone must have created it, but never gave much thought into the nuances of the art. Until recently, when I tried to draw a map of a simple island. I would post it for comedic relief, but let's just say it wasn't something a kindergartner would be especially proud of.

I came upon this site while looking for mapmaking tutorials. One look at the WIP's of Selvarin and Skenth has blown the doors off my imagination, and I immediately became a member.

My graphics experience is limited to MacPaint (if you remember that), and recently I have used Inkscape to make simple labels for my home-brewed beers and meads. I have downloaded Gimp and looked at Photoshop (though I can't find a price for it on the website, strangely enough). I have already contacted one of you regarding using some of the work posted here, and I'm sure more of you will be hearing from me!

I'm hoping that I will use this great site as a resource for learning how to make simple maps, as well as finding some finished maps. My guys are into planar travel so the number of maps is unlimited!

Welcome tripleoh, another Ohioan here (Columbus) I haven't tried using gimp or photoshop yet, working by hand so far. One of these days I will take the plunge. Take care!

Welcome Paul! It sounds like you have come to the right place!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Welcome! Whatever your medium you shouldn't have any trouble finding help. Good luck with your mapping!

Small world. I'm originally from Columbus. Went to Watterson.

Welcome, from another new(ish) Ohio Member! (Cleveland area, here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
    Welcome, from another new(ish) Ohio Member! (Cleveland area, here.)
    East side or West side? I'm in Lakewood.

Welcome to the Guild Paul! Yes, this is definitely the place to hone those fledgling cartographic skills. The tutorials section offers many tutorials for GIMP, and one or two for Inkscape as well. Please feel free to post up anything you are working for and ask for feedback. This is a good way to glean tips and tricks from more experienced members.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by tripleoh View Post
    East side or West side? I'm in Lakewood.
    East side. Euclid.

Guild Novice

I know where that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast