Thread: Miscellaneous map... feedback plz

Guild Journeyer

Default Miscellaneous map... feedback plz

This is a project I've been working on for a while; all feedback would be appreciated because sometimes it just feels like I have no sense of what looks right.
    The names were made up on the spot...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Targhisia1.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	62214

Hi Ned, These are my overall thoughts on your map:

from a geographical point of view, this land has no rivers; as long as mountains and forests (physical features of a map) are represented, also rivers should be represented, (unless it’s a sort of magical land without rivers).

In terms of simple "map readability", I think you can add other details, depending on how much information you want to provide to the viewer. At the moment, we understand that there is a land, "Targhisia", probably represented in the darker coloured portion of the map, divided into several, not better defined, political entities; You can add a legend, a scale, etc. that will add flavour and explanations.

From an artistic point of view, if it’s your first map, it’s a nice one and I like it. With time and studying other people’s maps and some tutorial, you’ll eventually improve your style, that’s clean and basic at the moment, into something more refined.

Guild Journeyer

I've done some work on it as time permits. Thanks for the advice, by the way.
    I hope the rivers don't look too awkward...

Name:	Targhisia.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	62233

Guild Novice Facebook Connected kaiofhearts's Avatar

I quite like how the main land are defined with their darker tan coloring and bolder borders, but consequently the difference between water and the outlying land is too little. I'm also having a hard time telling if the tan lines that cut through the large island to the right are paths or larger rivers... Either way, I think some of the interaction between elements can be cleaned up for more clarity (if a river cuts through the mountain, or if that's just an accident, etc.). Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by NedS298 View Post
    I've done some work on it as time permits. Thanks for the advice, by the way.
    I hope the rivers don't look too awkward...

Name:	Targhisia.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	62233
    There is a lot of improvement between the two. The highlands and the lowlands are discernible. But I still can't say which are your rivers and which are your roads. And some of your rivers run straight. I'm pretty sure rivers take a winding path and become small lakes and ponds here and there. Unless, of course, magic of some kind is involved in the land itself. Fantasy does give you some leniency. Lastly, I would like to suggest, use different colors to mark rivers, roads and your elements like trees and mountains. It'll help differentiate as in some places I can see the rivers just drawn over tree or mountain symbols and doesn't look good.