Thread: The Kingdom of the Thorns

Map The Kingdom of the Thorns

So an updated version of my WIP. Added roads, more labels and such.

The Thorns is one of the constituent regions of Midderus and was once part of the sovereign kingdom of E'althemar before the consolidation of the War of Shadows. The region covers the entire area north of the Storm Hills and south of the Vǫrðrfell. The Thorns has been ruled by House Greyscar for thousands of years after overthrowing their previous liege lords, House Jarnos. They rule from the castle known as Ironfell. Other notable houses of the region include Wolfborn of Wolfcastle, Horntower of the Horntower, Harrowheart of the Mercy Fort, Dourspear of Drumburn Bridge and Stormhorn of Harrowtown. The border between the Thorns and the Mirelands is often disputed as House Dourspear's allegiance changes with every passing major war. It's believed they often reside with the winning side.

Let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Thorns.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	62218  

Nice one. This is a map full of promisses !
    Yet I think the coastline is a bit too black !

Ah yeah I was experimenting with a bevel on the coastline to get a slopedc lift effect.. Rest assured it won't appear on future maps!

Guild Member Facebook Connected Micah Doulos's Avatar

Great looking map. I agree about the coasts. Another thought: The roads... seem too straight and unnatural. This popped out to me in two places in particular. The 'Wild Road' heading to the 'Wight Shore', and the road heading west out of 'Cragmarch'. The Wight shore road is just so long that it seems like it should break and be curvy at some point. The Cragmarch road ends right at the shore, with no visual explanation as to why it goes right to the beach, right where it does. Do I make sense? lol Other than those two. The roads seem to work well everywhere else.

I value your critique. I agree about the Wild Road, it was kind of a rushed job. It's isn't all that WILD.
    The West Road extends over an isthmus known as the God's Arm to the western continent, Rassai. I'll likely label that in a later map .

Guild Member Facebook Connected Micah Doulos's Avatar

Oh cool. Is the isthmus made of islands? If not, maybe make that peninsula disappear off the screen instead of having the coast put an end to it? That would make it appear as if the land goes somewhere we can't see. Did you write the lore? It's cool.

Yeah it's a collection of small islands, I was going to do that but I made the file too small.. I'm still a novice to map making xD. I'll try and add it. And yeah, this is a kingdom from a continent I made from a world I made called Elandaria it's part of my fantasy series I'm writing.

Very nice so far Ironheart Silva!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh