Hi all, long, long time lurker and fan and very infrequent poster.

I'm just beginning to design a new campaign world and want to integrate a couple of areas (probably over oceans) that will indicate the general vicinity of one or more cloud island/continents. In these large scale maps, it won't be necessary to get very granular about locations. I'll do that on regional maps, if I do it at all. I'm thinking of them as electron clouds, or solar orbits, but I don't want to clutter the map with too much detail.

Has anyone thought about something like this before? It's a 3D mapping problem on one level, but the relative altitudes/distances between/placement of particular cloud lands isn't important at this scale. I'm thinking of some sort of transparency, but wondering if anyone has tinkered with ideas like this.

Oh, and if it matters, I'm using CC3 with the Mercator style, you can see it here: http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2007/january07.html At this point I'm just transferring continents from a Fractal Terrains map onto the new world map and scribbling notes on that, so not enough progress to post. But I'd rather do this right from the beginning if I can! Thanks for any thoughts.