Thread: Requia Map, Hand Drawn Kingdom

Map Requia Map, Hand Drawn Kingdom

Sorry for the second post in a row today!

I just drew this up while in my classes. I went over it with pen later, and I'm thinking about adding color and potentially digitizing it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0039.JPG 
Views:	361 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	62228

Comments and advice are welcomed!

While in your classes you shouldn't draw maps
    Seriously, I like it but I'm not fully convinced of the tree symbolism used for the forests. The trees marking the boundaries of the forests are recognizable as trees, those inside, look like small hills and, besides, I don't see why they should look different from the peripherical ones.
    Personally, as it shows good premises, I would try an enhanced digital version of this map, with or without colours (but I would like better a coloured version).

I agree with Fabio about the trees being off. Looks like deciduous trees on the outside and conifers on the inside and the double thick border of trees seems excessive. Really like the rest of it has a wonderful style and your hand lettering is jealousy inducing for me.

Yeah, I thought the trees weren't the best asset to this map, but I'm currently working on making a digital version of it and I'm going to smooth that out. Based on what I see, I need to make the treeline thinner and I'll probably just change the trees inside into the small circles making up the treeline, minus the trunks, for obvious reasons, and cluster them a bit better. I'll also fix the smearing on some of the letters. This was caused by my erasing the pencil underneath and accidentally smearing some ink that had gotten onto the eraser from something earlier. There were also some errors in the horizontal lines off the coast, but those are easy fixes.

My lettering was easy for me to learn, and I'm sure you could pick it up quickly enough if you wanted. Basically, the farthest left edge of each letter has an extra line on it, making it thicker, any closed letters (O, R, P, etc...) have a small dot in the closed area, and all the straight lines have lines perpendicular to the vertical edge of the direction it's written in. The "S"s are wierd because you have to draw a normal S first, draw the vertical lines on the end, then follow a thinner S up to the top. The "Q" is awkward to, but easy enough. Other than that, if a letter has a top two lines (E, F, R, B, K, P, etc...) the top part is shorter than the rest.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Nice hand-drawn style Phaneron, look forward to seeing the colored version as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh