Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: March 2014 Entry - Behold the Cliches

For a moment I interpreted your description incorrectly and thought the necromancer created 4 "seals".

Depending on the typeface, 10 point type is typical of most printed materials. 12 starts to look oversized in large blocks; my wife complains about my use of 12 point type on my resume—she thinks it's too big.

That's for typefaces intended to be used in body copy: Times, Helvetica, Caslon, Garamond, and the like. A stylized font may be unreadable even at 12. I'd say print out a paragraph in your chosen typeface and hold the page at arm's length. If you can read it easily, then it's fine. If you have to slow down, then it probably either needs to be larger or replaced entirely.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hmm no printer. I don't think I'll go for an overly decorative font, my rambling writing style is making thing difficult on me space wise (probably a good thing). Here's some random illustrations that will be scattered about the page. Tracings of animals as the base then some monsterfication with freehand details. Old public domain books on insects are full of the most hideous monsters you will ever hope to invent. I'm mostly ready to begin the actual composition as soon as I can get my text pared down and readable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COPDdood.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	354.3 KB 
ID:	62485

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

This looks cool, I like the back-story and the fact that the actual 'dungeon' area is quite compact - it will make for an exciting encounter, I'm sure
    I like the monsters, too - particularly the evil mutant death-bunny!
    If at first you don't succeed; try, try again. If you still don't succeed; go to the tutorials section!

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

First run of elements are in but fairly randomly placed. I still need to do more text editing and then format, border, resize font, text box etc. the whole thing. I'd like to add more mapping elements and maybe a random encounter chart for getting to the dungeon to begin with, but I need to see what it looks like after some formatting before I can decide on that.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ChallengeOPD1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	62497

Edit: Hmm layer rather than liar, makes it sound like a cake.

one more with numbers so you can vaguely tell what's going on!

Name:	ChallengeOPD2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	62507
    Last edited by madcowchef; 03-21-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Oh a fancy semblance of order. Not sure if I should do some coloring on the background images or leave them as line work only. I definitely exceeded good taste on miniaturization of the little map who sole purpose is to show that the monster lives a bit a ways up in the foot hills but I'm not sure I have the heart to take it out and I sure don't have the space to fit it. Some decision making and some text editing and I'll be done I hope.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ChallengeOPD3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	62517

It looks great!

Great One Page! Very cool idea!
    '

OK baring any major errors this here should be about it. Now to go to work on the one I plan on entering the contest.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ChallengeOPDF.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	62594

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Only thing I'm not so keen on is the font, something a little more decorative might add character to the piece instead of a standard ariel (not so fancy that it becomes illegible). Also, given that you have such a large line height, you could consider reducing it and increasing your font size so it's even easier to read (not that it's difficult).

I'd also maybe consider cutting out the white of the "Lair of Frangag's Monster" title/logo as it doesn't really blend with the rest of the image.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast