Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: March 2014 Entry - Behold the Cliches

Question

Did some reading up on small readable fonts as well as standing back and squinting a lot at a computer screen. I came up with two possibilities to chose from. One is fancier and nicely in fitting with the style as well as surprisingly readable, the other is cleaner, but at least a nice serif font to keep with the feeling of the thing a bit better. I haven't optimized all the text yet as far as scooching it about and making sure everything is in the same font that should be wanted to get some thoughts on the two fonts first. Opinions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChallengeOPDf1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	62609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChallengeOPDf2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	62610

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Without a doubt the first one.

Yeah - I would have to agree that the first one is probably better given the amount of text.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

First one it is. I played around with some text dividers but they only added yet more clutter, which I have a vague suspicion I might not need. So I just cleaned up the alignments on things, converted the remainder of the text over, and wiggled some of the illustrations a bit. Any artsy fartsy stuff I want to do is just going to make it less readable so unless people pick out any more corrections or have any issues with it should be about there. Thanks for the text advice I think it made a major improvement to it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ChallengeOPDFF.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	62627

This is a fantastic entry MCF! Also, I definitely prefer the new font to the old one.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The dungeon itself looks good though I'm not personnaly convinced by the overall layout design.

Any suggestions about placement that would improve the layout?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I'd get the introduction inset sticked right beneath the title. This could be easily done on the left column, moving the map on the right corner for instance. I'd also keep the miscellaneaous drawings in the text column width, for aesthetic reasons. Using some bold or some color on the main subject of the key (Entrance, Corpse hanged, door stucked, elemental furnace etc.) would also highlight what's it's about, especially if you accord the number style aswell .

Second verse same as the first. After following some advice about layouts from some guy named "max", whom I'm sure you've never heard of, I've got a new version. The placement of #8 is about the worst thing about it to my eye. That's what I get for failing to follow all the good advice given me (due to a lack of layout planning from the get go). Over all I'd say a nice bit of improvement over the previous version:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ChallengeOPDFg.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	62677

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Maezar's Avatar

Seal up 1 & 2, create water and drown the monster? Sorry, just kidding.

As far as typefaces go, this might actually be a good job for Caslon Antique.
    Last edited by Maezar; 03-27-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast