Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March 2014 Entry - In the Vault of the Howling Palace

I knew you did not draw the pictures for some reason but they are a nice addition to the dungeon map.

I think it looks great however I would highly recommend lightening the page background a little. As it's for the OPD one of the things to take into consideration is that someone will want print it out - probably in black and white on regular copy paper. So it being clear is important.

I like the concept and design on this one, Cirias!

I fully agree with Larb about the background. Plus, a clearer background will serve more the map, imo.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

"My quandary eludes me"... did you mean, "My quarry eludes me?"

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Well, I went away and made some edits! Mainly I focused on bringing the dungeon map itself to life with some furniture and some gold/blood texture on the floor. I also added a drawing of the terrifying man-beast Lastly, I worked on making the palace illustrations less obvious, so I blurred them a little and also added a solid noise layer mask (same as I have on my text) to age/distress the images a little bit.

Let me know what you think

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In the Vault of the Howling Palace v2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	62452

This is a really cool concept and overall presentation...but I think the map itself needs to "pop" out of the page a bit more...it might be as simple as lightening the base color of the page (as an earlier person suggested) or perhaps committing a bit more to the iso perspective by giving the west and north walls a bit more of an edge.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Awesome man-beast!

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

I like the general feel, but as with others things just get kind of lost because of the background.

Be careful using other peoples photos, even if manipulated. For your own personal stuff it's not an issue, but unless they have been distributed with a free license to use them then you can come into some issues. Here it's no biggie, but if you did submit them to the official OPD competition then everything has to be your own creation as it will get published under Creative Commons.

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

I think that the addition of the detail in the rooms really brings it to life! You did a good job with that Man Beast, too
    If at first you don't succeed; try, try again. If you still don't succeed; go to the tutorials section!

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

Others have already address the concern I have, which is that it is difficult to make out the features of the map. Otherwise it looks really nice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12