Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March 2014 Entry - In the Vault of the Howling Palace

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Map March 2014 Entry - In the Vault of the Howling Palace

This is my entry for this month (apologies if I'm too early to put up the final image!) Having never really been a tabletop gamer (only a bit of WH40K) I spent a while researching the previous entries to the One Page Dungeon of previous years. I love the idea behind it, especially in its ability to convey a story. So, without further ado, here's my one page dungeon...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In the Vault of the Howling Palace (Compressed).jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	62287

I'm sorry I have no WIP images as I made this really over the course of half a day, so it all just came out in a blur!

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

This is awesome! I like the detailing of the palace exterior and hall, it's just amazing! I'd really love to see some more going on in the map itself, though - just some furniture or quirky details to bring the playing area to life. I know that DnD stuff is mostly about imagination, but it's always nice to help it along a bit The other thing I like is the use of space - it might look slightly cluttered but I like the way that there's always something interesting to look at.
    If at first you don't succeed; try, try again. If you still don't succeed; go to the tutorials section!

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

I agree with The_Bruce, it is a really awesome map as it is but if you added a bit more detail it would be even cooler. Also just a thought but if you added a sketch of the man beast above it's description I think it would add a lot to the map. I love what you have done with this map, the journal style is also really intriguing and it makes be want to know more about the thief.

Thanks for the comments guys, most appreciated

I like the idea of including a sketch of the man-beast in there (I hadn't even considered it!) I am aware that it's quite packed with "stuff", so I had to be careful with what I included. And to your comment, The_Bruce, maybe I'll play around with furniture or some such, but my track record for that sort of thing for these dungeon maps is pretty dire Might search out some brushes or something...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Though it's nicely done, the digital filters applied on the buildings pics are maybe a bit too obvious to my tastes. Nice job overall.

Man-Beast sketch would be cool! It's always nice to try things that are outside of your comfort zone - otherwise, we will never grow!
    Also, I think you've got a typo in your text (right at the top); I think that you might mean 'quarry' as opposed to 'quandry' (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though!).
    Still love the map
    If at first you don't succeed; try, try again. If you still don't succeed; go to the tutorials section!

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Though it's nicely done, the digital filters applied on the buildings pics are maybe a bit too obvious to my tastes. Nice job overall.
    Thanks, Max. How did you know I didn't draw those buildings myself? I found a few tutorials online for making images look hand-drawn and I adapted them to my needs. It's tricky in GIMP to achieve the look and I wonder whether Photoshop might have made it easier.

The_Buce - Cheers for pointing out the spelling mistake!

Expect the revised version of this soon

My pleasure! I did sort of quite enjoy the thought that someone might be looking for a state of confusion (quandary), though

Albums
    Digital Maps
    Traditional Media Maps
    Works In Progress

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cirias View Post
    Thanks, Max. How did you know I didn't draw those buildings myself? I found a few tutorials online for making images look hand-drawn and I adapted them to my needs.
    Because actually, like I said, the digital filter is kind of obvious

I don't think Photoshop does it any better. You can certainly change contrast use multiple techniques to get a more hand drawn look but ultimately I don't think its ever not simply recognizable as a filter. Tracing is time consuming but will give you a hand drawn look if you are willing to take the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast