Thread: Greetings & Salutations!

Default Greetings & Salutations!

Hello folks,

I'm a California chap in my mid-twenties, and am very glad to be here! I was overjoyed to stumble upon this forum community this morning while researching a map commission for a client. I have only drawn a few maps in my time but have always been fascinated by historical cartography. My lifelong interest in medieval European history has led me to earn a degree in history from San Francisco State University (2012) and currently I'm working odd jobs while waiting for a ripe moment to return to graduate school. I'm currently in the process of starting a crafts business called Gerhard's Fineries that focuses on recreating medieval wood and leather wares but I also entertain fanciful commission work. I posted two maps in the "Finished Maps" forum this morning. Here they be:

Leather reproduction of Thror's Map from The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hand-Drawn Map of Medieval China

And for anyone interested more generally in the sort of work I do, here's a Flickr account with various project posts. I plan to make a proper website come late Summer, by which time I should have enough of a portfolio to justify its inception!

Gerhard's Fineries Flickr Gallery

Once again, really lovely to be here. I'm fascinated by the various design programs that many of the members use to make the wonderful maps that are displayed. Having always been an ink, paint and carving knife kind of guy it may be fun to try out a new approach! I'll have to wander over to the software forum now... Cheers!

-Gerhard von Liebau

Hi Gerhard!

Your post was held up my our overaggressive moderation tool, so I have approved it.

Willkommen to the community and thanks for jumping right in and sharing your stuff!

-Rob A>

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Welcome aboard, G! Hope you enjoy your time here. And pretty nice work on those maps!

Welcome to the Guild! I love your leather and wood work! I'm looking forward to seeing the some more of your maps here.

Welcome to the Guild Gerhard von Liebau! I hope your business is a huge success. Great work on these maps btw. Hope you find time to make some more of them to display here in the near future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheehs

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! I was out of town for a couple weeks but am glad to be back home so that I can get some work done. I have a commission to do a carved leather map of the "Outlands" realms of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). Hopefully I'll have it posted by the end of the week. Cheers!

-Gerhard