Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi-realistic medieval experiment thing

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default Semi-realistic medieval experiment thing

Here's a quick experiment I made in between other stuff. I wanted to make something less high fantasy than most maps I've made, more realistically medieval. Also something that can be drawn in pure black and white, for paperback publishing for example, without too much loss. It became… this

The font isn't the best choice, I should've downloaded some early medieval script (or preferably written it myself, by hand… Have to learn that some time!), but I was too lazy and I think it gets the point across at least

It took about two hours of ink drawing and ten minutes or so of color, which feels like an ok amount of time for the result. The paper texture is added digitally (it's a scanned paper with super-high contrast).

Whaddyathink?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr Medeltid.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	384.7 KB 
ID:	62295

You really nailed the shading style. The use of perspective on the cities is nice looking but less medieval. The water is impossible not to like.

I like it!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Like it, and it'd definitely work well in a book so you've got that part down!

nice and simple. I like it.

Very nice map! I like everything in it, except the waves along the coastlines (a bit too heavy imho).

Thanks for the comments! Two good points, about the city perspective and the heavy waves. Thanks!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's really great work, Lingonopolis!

What about adding a bit of negative space in between the waves/water and the coastline? That way it would be easier to tell what's what; as it is now the waves (while beautiful) make it hard for me to tell the shape of the coast in some places.

Haha, thanks Diamond Mountains!

That's a great idea. I think I'll make another version with the feedback I've received. Also thinking of using a different type of mountains, something that looks older. A problem is that I think all pre-16th century mountains I've seen are so ugly… but maybe I could try to come up with something that could have been used, instead of something that was used. I'll give it a go.

Like others said before, the coastal lines are strange (I thought it was some kind of cliffs). But I like the map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast